Monday, 14 September 2009

Phoebe's recovery continues.....

Hi there Folks,

Thanks for popping by, I hope this update finds you all well and trust you all had a good weekend!

As promised, I just wanted to let you all know how we got on at the hospital on Friday. After feeling fairly apprehensive during the morning wondering what the findings would be from the recent blood tests, Phoebe helped to occupy my thoughts by the incredible way she deals with her appointments. The staff are so friendly and Phoebe is more than happy to help the nurses by rolling her sleeves up ready to apply some cream to help numb the area ready to take her regular bloods. Of course before, Phoebe had all her bloods taken via her hickman line but as this has now been removed all bloods shall be taken by the normal route!!

It was lovely to catch up with Jo who is Phoebe’s specialist nurse and she is so pleased with her recovery, especially now that Phoebe’s appetite has returned.

It took around 30 mins for the cream to work and before long Rob called us in, there was an optimistic air to the conversation which helped to lighten our concerns. It’s always a pleasure to see Rob and we have been through a fair few ups and downs, we find it easy to communicate as he explains everything so clearly. Phoebe climbed onto my knee and happily prepared herself by rolling her sleeves up again to enable Rob to take bloods. She was completely mesmerised watching everything going on, enthusiastically telling us all about her blood going into the syringe, bless her. We are so proud of Phoebs and how she deals with everything, the nurses say they don’t often get to see children so passive during bloods being taken but with everything she has been through I guess she is used to it a little.

Rob explained that even though Phoebe’s graft has reduced to 12%, the bloods are holding their own at the moment, her immune system is fighting viruses and bugs off every second of the day and she continues to be incredibly well. Phoebe’s T-Cells (which are the fighter cells) have reduced somewhat which concerns Rob and his colleagues but for the moment they are monitoring these levels closely and will await and hope to see some stability before we can all begin to relax a little. We have taken many positives away from this last appointment along with some hope and prayers to stay positive and ‘will’ these cells to settle at a good level. Rob was happy to see us again in another month and we will keep you updated on the results from the bloods taken Friday. Of course, we remain vigilant with regards to hand washing, mixing in large crowds and obviously keeping away from anyone with infections, colds, coughs etc.

As Phoebe continues on her amazing recovery, we look forward to more weekends away in the caravan. The trips made so far have been an incredible tonic for Phoebe and we firmly believe this is having a great effect on her recovery. We meet some lovely people and our trips have taken us locally, to Wales and Devon. There are so many fabulous campsites in and around our area and of course in some of the quaintest parts of Devon.

Phoebe has this wonderful energy bringing smiles to everyone, especially on the campsites, everyone is so friendly greeting each other and there is always an offer of help should you need. On one of our first few trips we stayed at a great site in Wrexham, North Wales called The Plassey, (which for our friends abroad is about 45mins-1hr from Stoke on Trent). It was a fabulous weekend and no doubt we will return at some point in the future. There is a small garden centre onsite along with various other outlets and makes a great visit onsite or maybe for a run out on the weekend. Whilst there, we met a lovely lady called Sue who ran the garden centre. Make a trip over, she has some lovely plants and is more than happy to help with any questions you have. It felt like we had known her all our lives and we just had an instant bond and she especially with Phoebe, it was lovely. Sue even gave her a croaking frog for her garden and a beautiful bunch of flowers for the caravan. It will be nice to return and catch up with Sue again sometime we hope but well recommend the trip over to see her. Xx Bless you Sue, it was a real pleasure to meet you. Xx - plasseyplants.co.uk

For Auntie Phyllis, a year since you passed, God Bless you, keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Sarah, focusing our positive thoughts and energies your way. Xxx

Until our next update……

Stay safe dear friends
Much love

Lynn, Ade, Phoebs and Spirit Eleanor xxxx

3 comments:

Lissa said...

Hi All,
I am so glad you had the chance to do another update, I have been thinking of you and wondering how everything went..Prayers are being answered..
It must be wonderful for you to be able to get out there and go on your trips, it sounds so fun..I am so happy things appear to becoming somewhat normal for you..Thanks for blogging again, I did go through a Phoebe blog withdrawl for a bit, but I am better now..
Look forward to your next update..
Say hi to everyone for me..
Love Lissa

Parsnip said...

So good to hear today's news! I have everything crossed that Phoebe's cells continue to fight. She is so cute rolling up her sleeves for the blood draws! And I'm over the moon the norovirus has gone at last!

Funny how you meet random new people, like Sue, who you just connect with! I'll ask my mother in law if she knows that garden center - she's a big gardener (super talented too) and she lives in Llangedla, just outside of Wrexham.

Keep fighting folks, we're all pulling for you:)

DenXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sheena said...

Hi all,
It is great to be reading your updates again. Pleased to hear that things are still positive - and will be crossing everything to make sure things continue to go well. The picture of Phoebe are so gorgeous - so glad to hear that you have been having so many wonderful adventures in the caravan. I can imagine how much fun a caravan must be to a 2 year old - I think Isobel would be in heaven!
I went back to work today at the end of my maternity leave - I was thinking back to how I used to read your update every morning before Archie was born and now I am reading it again and he is 7 months old!
I will keep sending love and energy to you all - we have been surrounded by white feathers - so that must bode well!
Lots of love to you all,
Sheena, Rich, Isobel and Archie xx