Hope all is well with you lovely bloggers out there!!
Don’t you just love these light nights, they make me feel so much better although Phoebe didn’t understand why it was bedtime just wanting to play, play, play…I think she thought it was the afternoon!!!
Yesterday was a very good but an incredibly exhausting day at the hospital probably due to the fact that we were on the road early to be there by 8am. Sarah is now back on the ward as Sister and did a great job of looking after us, Phoebe helped her out by holding the blood pressure cuff ready and managing to take her own temperature…bless her…there no end to her talents…nurse in the making there!!
Our reason for being in Manchester hospital other than the regular clinic appointment was the fact that Phoebe required another dosage of the immunoglobulins which are an immune booster. We have noticed she has been a little pale over the last few days and was not feeling quite herself on Sunday. As we received the results of the mornings blood tests they revealed that Phoebe’s blood counts were rather low and she is even more susceptible to viruses and infections as her immune system fights a slight cold virus and runny nose along with the Norovirus, she does so well considering really.
Ade and I were hoping and praying that Phoebe had at least maintained her recent weight to enable us to continue with Phoebs recovery at home which is much better for her being in her own familiar surroundings…!! Surprisingly, Phoebe’s weight was stable thank goodness. Should Phoebe lose too much weight we are able to go onto the ward for a couple of weeks stay and they will give her TPN (Total Parental Nutrition) which will really bulk her up. Ade and I feel happy to continue and if we feel the need for further intervention we will then of course go to Manchester.
Maged our Consultant at the Unit is very pleased with Phoebe’s progress and is keeping a very close watch on her at the moment especially with temperatures. Maged also trusts our judgement and understands I have a strong mother’s instinct so he is happy for us to call them with any concerns.
Even though we are going through this sometimes difficult and challenging life experience we receive incredible support by all the staff at the hospital in Manchester and Stoke making this journey easy as possible…for this we will be eternally humbled and grateful for their superb care.
Sister Monica popped by for a visit, it’s a pleasure to catch up on things and she is always delighted to see Phoebe and how well she is progressing.
The procedure for giving Phoebe the IV immunoglobulins lasted for around 4 hours. Phoebe managed to have a little sleep for an hour and happily played with her books whilst Ade ran around ragged going to and fro from the car. We continue to feed Phoebe through an NG tube and this is a blessing whilst she continues to have a lack of appetite.
After our hospital visit, Ade and I had planned to take Phoebs to Manchester airport to watch some aeroplanes taking off and landing, we were a little unsure where the best place was to see them being as it must have been some 10-15 years since Ade last went. Does anyone have the answer to this….? If so, please can you let us know via the comments section or e-mail me at lynn@oldfields.net
By the time we arrived over in Manchester, Phoebe bless her, had fallen into a rather comfortable deep sleep…unable to locate the viewing area we decided to just enjoy a leisurely drive home. Even though it may not sound as though we have done very much, both Ade and I were completely drained, walking through the door with Phoebe I was totally unable to resist heading straight ups
Following the results from the blood tests this week we have decided to keep Phoebe at home, over the last couple of weeks we have started to head out for little trips, knowing our limitations and staying local but for now we need to keep Phoebe isolated in the hope of avoiding any virus and bugs out there.
The folks have popped over today, it’s always good to see them all. Mum and Dad came loaded with lovely tasty Cornish pasties and cakes…the special K two week diet as you can imagine has gone down the swanny but there is always tomorrow!! :o). Phoebe enjoys supping her tea (de-caff mind!!) and it was nice to sit down with the troops for a cuppa this afternoon.
As promised he
Phoebe settled well tonight, she was shattered by 7.45pm but we had some lovely bonding time together and tonight we spent time talking about Eleanor, describing things she liked and the fact she loved watching the birds like Phoebe, she responded to this with such a lovely smile, she stroked my face and said ‘lovely Mummy’…words cannot describe how she made me feel bless her, it was one of those special moments that I’m sure all parents have and one I will always cherish.
And finally…hope all the Bloggeroonies out there are enjoying the break from school and we look forward to seeing you all soon.
A special message tonight for Angela, hope to see you healed and back at the hospital very soon, its not the same without you!!!
When you look ahead you can only see what you can do, not the help you’ll receive along the way.
So for now folks, our next posting will be at the weekend, thanks for taking the time to pop by and update on Phoebe’s progress, its nice to have you with us on this special journey. Xx
Rest easy dear friends
Much love
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor
2 comments:
Hello everyone,
Thanks for the latest update - glad to hear that things continue to move in the right direction - even if not as quickly as we would all hope. How wonderful that Phoebe knows what a lovely Mummy she has - you really are an inspiration to all of us. Isobel will barely call me Mummy let alone Lovely!
I hope you have a good week and Phoebe's strength and appetite grow.
Take care and love to you all,
Sheena, Rich, Isobel and Archie
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor
I was just able to get on and I had lots to catch up on. I am so sorry to hear about Uncle Jim, my Mom had talked of him often. I am so glad Phoebes doing good. I can see her hair is coming in, she is just beautiful. I love to see her pics..
I'm so glad you had a good time with Parsnip. I had no idea she was so tall..On facebook one time she was chatting about organizing her shoe closet and I thought she said she was an 11. Well you think that would have given me a clue..
I am in the early thought process of maybe moving to South Carolina at the end of this year..I have friends who have moved there and love it so maybe its time for a change for me I will keep you posted..Have a great week and my love to all..
Post a Comment