Sunday, 11 January 2009

Transplant Day +31 - The Road to Recovery

Good Evening Everyone,

Welcome to this relaxed Sunday evening, we hope you are all well!

Well, we are packed and ready for another trip to Manchester, would be better if it was the Maldives but wishful thinking there, mmm now….holidays are something we are definitely looking forward too!

Back to reality now…we have really enjoyed our time at home, truly appreciating all the comforts it brings before we head back for a short stay in the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital. Both Ade and I feel happy and somewhat relieved to be returning to Manchester tomorrow, we both feel that even though we are managing Phoebe’s general care and all the medicines at home, it will be reassuring that Phoebe’s weight, diet and appetite will be closely monitored. Just being home since Thursday, we have been able to see that Phoebe has lost a little weight. There is only so long that this can go on for before we need some other intervention. Phoebe is keeping food down for a few hours but then tends to be sick; this in turn brings the NG tube up too. It’s a continuous pattern and the procedure of re-inserting the tube can be very uncomfortable for Phoebs. So we’ve had some time but now we need to get this sorted.

After talking with Rob, he has reassured us this will be his only concern with Phoebe at this time as all her bloods are producing superb results. It is a common aspect for children’s appetite to take a while to return to normal, the hospital will help with lots of advice, support and special feeds to have Phoebe’s system sorted very soon. We do feel that Phoebe having contracted the Norovirus has been a contributing factor and we will chat with Rob about this tomorrow.

Thanks Lissa for your question regarding the preparations for the meds, its sounds a little more complicated than it is but when you have a few doses to give, its so important to make sure all the amounts are correct, making sure you have a large syringe to take a sample from the line to test on a pH indicator strip, we use these to ensure that the line is situated in the correct place within the stomach and finally a flush for the line when everything is given to keep the line clear. The preparation takes a little while and before you know it, you have given a set of meds and the next ones are due!!

Phoebe will need to take quite a number of meds for the next few months but these will reduce until we are left with Penicillin which Phoebe will need to take for the rest of her life.

Over the weekend, we have spent time talking about Phoebe’s diet and appetite and truthfully it feels a welcomed relief to all of us that Phoebe will have this extra helping hand to really boost her recovery before we are finally discharged from the unit. We will then continue to be seen in the weekly clinic.

Over the last few days, Phoebe has had some sickness in the early hours of the morning, bless her. We obviously have to change her bed and clothing and wash her, it upsets her a little but she tends to settle again very quickly. This happened again last night and unfortunately the tube came up, we removed it and let Phoebe settle. This morning we called our Community Nursing team and a lovely lady called Debbie came to see us. She re-inserted the tube, Phoebe was a little sick but after a few minutes she had settled with it ok. Once we are home full time, one of the nurses will pop by to discuss the care required once discharged.

Being Sunday, we headed over to Mum and Dad’s for lunch and I have to say it was absolutely delicious, to think at one time I really disliked the traditional Sunday lunch but now couldn’t do without it!!
Margaret and Frank popped by to see us and Phoebe was delighted, Margaret always brings in lots of bountiful energy, just like her mum, our Auntie Winnie. We hope you are feeling better Auntie Winnie after your fall, we’ll send all our healing energies, to help you become mobile very soon!!

Gwen and Marge came over for a cuppa early evening, Gwen’s foot is much better, maybe it’s Phoebe exercising it for her by walking with Gwen everywhere around the house. Phoebe is a little wobbly when she walks and is more confident whilst holding your hand, this will improve as we build her strength and she’ll be running around soon no doubt!

Well guys, it’s getting late now and need to get some good sleep ready for our early start, so for now, we bid you goodnight from Newcastle under Lyme until our next posting from Manchester…..

‘May your days all be blessed with the presence of an angel watching
over you.’
Douglas Pagels

Sleep well dear friends..
Much love…Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor xxxx

7 comments:

Parsnip said...

Evening alllll!!!!

That was interesting about Phoebe's med prep - the sample from the line etc. That's a lot of work many times a day. I remember you mentioning one time before that Phoebe will have to take Penicillin for the rest of her life; is that standard for all BMT patients? Or is there another reason for it?

I do have to say I get quite jealous reading about the loverleeee food you guys get from the troops!!
Can't believe you didn't used to like the traditional roast Lynn! No meat for me thank you, but I love all the other stuff.....mmmm yorkshire pudding! mmmmmmm...

Hope Gary is back and feeling better??? Good to hear Gwen's on the road to recovery from her ballroom dancing injury!

Sounds like a week in the hospital will be a good thing - it'll take some stress off you both for a bit until you try it at home next time. So good to hear that Phoebe's blood work is all great still, I continue to send her all my positive energy. And to you guys too, you just astound me. I know that when you're "in it" you have no choice but to keep dealing with it, but you all do it with such incredible grace, in the truest sense of the word. You're awesome parents and amazing people.

Good night all, safe journey tomorrow, hope little Phoebe settles in well and it's not too upsetting for her.

Tons of love

DenXXXXXXXXXXXXX

PS LISSA! I am here reading along - whenever I got to post a comment I'd get called away for some reason and then BAM! I'm asleep somewhere! Been trying to exercise a lot and it's taking it's toll on me at night. I should start posting in the mornings when I am actually awake! I'm really really hoping (and I think I'm going to be right!) that I never have any probs with our new BCBS policy but if I do, I'll have to call you! That would be so funny to talk to you!!! Enjoy your snow - we got dumped on this weekend and there's more all week! My little car is like a sardine can in a stormy sea navigating the unplowed ("unploughed" for the Brits, I haven't forgotten how to spell!) roads in our sub! I try to follow the tracks the other cars make but I'm still weaving about! Kinda scary but fun sometimes as long as I don't end up in someone's front yard!

Gary said...

Morning Parsnip,

Yes I'm back, with a sore knee and a cold!!

Just trying to get rid of this man-flu and then I can get up to see Phoebe again....

G

Anonymous said...

hope your day back in manchester has gone well and that your feeling reassured now pheobes weight is being monitored and she is getting extra help....

possitivity and many prayers

becky mark and molly

Michelle and Owen said...

Hi to you all

Have a safe journey to Manchester and I hope all goes well. I will be round to see you soon - only Owen has had the lurgy so have had to stay away for a little while.

Lots of love and hugs

Michelle and Owen
xx

Manju said...

Morning guys!
i am meant to be scraping plaque of peoples teeth at the mo but hey that can wait!!
I am glad to hear that you are going back to Manc today it will take the pressure off you guys for afew days and let somebody else shoulder the burden for a while!
Keep positive guys !!
lots of love manju

Rachel Ansell said...

Hiyaaaa. A little help from your stay at Manc will be good for all of you. Being at home is great but in hosp there are more hands on deck especially when Phoebe is sick. I do hope that this awful bug leaves her now so her tummy can recover. Amelia was bad for around 10 days with this tummy bug over christmas and she is as strong as an ox so Phoebe is doing really well considering all the treatment she has gone through. Your stay should give you a really good boost and get some weight on her, wish I could give her mine!!
Jocelyn is nearly sitting on her own now, can you beleive it and has a new dadada sound, sooo cute.
Love to you all. Rachel, D, A, A, J and Sprit Sam.xxx
PS. Sorry if I woke Ade the other day. I was planning on just placing the daffs by the back door but Gwen clocked me, glad to hear her foot is getting better, just keep of the roller blades for a while!!
xx Sunday Roast is the best xx

Heidi said...

Hi guys

Been catching up on the past few days, and am so pleased to read how well Phoebe (and all of you) are doing. What a milestone, Lynne, to take some 'me time' at the hairdressers - good call!

The supplements sound good - I imagine that's helping to take the pressure off a little re Phoebe's food intake. Another stay at Manchester will do that too, I guess. Phoebe is obviously such a strong little girl - once that nasty Norovirus has been beaten, I'm sure there will be no stopping her!

Brilliant to hear Phoebe's bloods are all tip top. She's come such a long way in such a short time.

We'd like to pop in and see you soon (now you've promised to put the kettle on!) - I'll keep an eye on the blog so I know when you're at home, and have a chat with Iain about popping up. I'm long overdue a trip to see Joe, aswell. I spoke to Joe on New Year's Eve, though - we were reminiscing about NY Eve in Sydney, dancing on the rooftop of good old flat 601. Happy (messy!) days.....

By the way, I just wanted to say how much I love reading your angel quotes at the end of each blog - they always give me some food for thought. My (our) life always seems so very busy, juggling family, work etc., and it's good to just stop and reflect each day.

Lots and lots of love to you all

Heidi, Iain, Travis, Stella and Nathan xxx