Welcome to Day +34, isn’t is remarkable how quickly the time has passed? We hope you are all well out there!!
The morning started incredibly early at 4am as for some reason Phoebe was really unsettled, sitting up in bed. After a little chat explaining that it was still sleep time and a cuddle I managed to settle her down again….for about 5 mins..before she popped up again…oh how tired did I feel?!! It's nice to be able to lift Phoebs out of the cot and cuddle with her on my bed instead of being linked to machines. She snoozed for a little while before I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn’t get back to sleep. Couldn’t particularly put my finger on exactly what was upsetting Phoebe, just put it down to her feeling a little more energy from the transfusion and awake just wanting a mummy cuddle…it was very tiring but lovely at the same time…aah.
Phoebe did well with breakfast this morning and chose some porridge; she ate a good portion but it wasn’t long after that both Phoebe and I were flagging a little so Ade took over for a while and we both had a huge snooze for a couple of hours.
Phoebe’s weight has remained the same today but the rash has become much more obvious. Rob came by to check this and confirmed this was a GVHD (Graft Verses Host Disease) rash; this is when the donated cells see the skin as alien rather than familiar and they react to this. It's extremely common and we hope it will stay as mild as it is at the moment. Rob decided to start Phoebe on steroids and ironically one of the side effects in an increase in appetite which works great for Phoebs. The steroids are initially given intravenously and this will eventually change to oral medicine before the doses are gradually reduced. Overall, Rob is very pleased with Phoebs and very confident that everything we are currently experiencing is completely normal following a bone marrow transplant. We couldn’t wish for any better in this situation than normality, to hear those words is such a comfort.
Throughout the day, Phoebe tolerated her feeds following her heavy bout of sickness last night; the feeds have been given every 3 hours again but we have reduced the amount to 55mls per feed. We will see how things go through the night and look to increase this from tomorrow.
The troops arrived around 12.45pm and they do so well driving back and forth each day. It was lovely to see them all and Phoebe was so pleased when she saw who came to visit. We spend time talking about things which are going to happen throughout the day. Phoebe sat with Mum but didn’t really have the appetite for the lunch that I’d ordered for her but she merrily tucked into Mum’s crisp breads and cottage cheese which was fabulous. You could tell she really enjoyed it so we will buy some full fat cottage cheese and see how she goes with that. Mum very kindly made some bread pudding for us which is just the best; it doesn’t help my diet but when Mum makes it you just gotta have some! Gwen and Mum were busy entertaining Phoebs…or was this the other way around?!
Dad and I took the opportunity to go for a walk and it was great to breathe the lovely fresh air, although there was a real chill on my legs of all places! In earlier postings on the blog I have talked about noticing all the blessings we receive each day and walking with Dad is something I really enjoy; just being able to have a chat about things is great quality time together. Dad and I returned feeling refreshed just in time for a cuppa before the guys headed off early to avoid the rush hour traffic.
Dinner was served before Phoebe awoke and instead of chicken and happy faces she just fancied another bowl of porridge and really enjoyed it. Phoebe’s appetite has improved today [Probably due to the steroids - Ade] along with her energy levels. We hope that this continues to enable us to return home soon, although it is too early to speculate. Our priority is to ensure Phoebe is continuously gaining weight and that she is well before we head for home. Tomorrow is another day and Phoebe amazes us how she keeps going, in fact she keeps us going!!
Well folks, it’s getting late; heading for Bedfordshire to make sure I get some
For now dear friends, thanks for joining us and we’ll catch up with you all tomorrow.
Wishing you all a restful sleep.‘It’s not your imagination. Sometimes a “coincidence” comes with a lot of angelic effort.’
With love,
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor xxx
12 comments:
Evening all
You had me confused there with your Bedfordshire comment - but I got it finally!!! The troops bring in some fabulous food - I seriously don't know why you don't weigh 35 stone Lynn! Just reading it makes me gain weight. I read yesterday that Phoebe was eating the raisins from your Mum's pasta salad so I had to make that immediately (haven't had it for ages and it was YUMMMM) and all this talk of bread pudding (my fave) is making my dieting self very hungry!
That's great that a side effect of the steroids is an increase in appetite! They didn't want to try her on the Wotsit diet, then?!
Good to hear you getting out and walking with your Dad, I like to walk with my Dad too, I love doing that. Don't talk to me about a chill on your legs lady - it'll be around -32 (in your temps!) here for the next few days! THAT'LL give you a chill on your legs! When it got that low last year school was cancelled because you can get frostbite!
BTW, I know you have no idea what you will be doing tomorrow never mind April but we will be making an appearance in the Stoke/Birmingham area on Saturday 4th April! We'd love to meet up somehow....we can keep it a loose arrangement for now and work out the wheres and what nots nearer the time....just pencil it in!
Well better get going, good night all, hope you get lots of rest, all of you!
Tons of love
Denise
Hi Everyone,
Sounds like our girl had a hungry day today, Good job Phoebe..
I remember my Mom on the steroids, it was non stop eating.
I too was confused by the Bedfordshire comment, I even googled it, but of course I didn't know what I was looking for so I just chalked it up to one of those English things I don't know, I even googled Wotsits and thankfully i now know what they are.
Have a great day tomorrow and Phoebe Keep on Eating..
Love Lissa
I really liked the photos...
Hooray shes eating, i'm feeling better thats phoebes is now beginning to have an appetite!!!!
and now parsnip has committed to the 4th april weekend you are all pencilled in the gour diary so see you then !!!! Life cant get much better!!!
lots of love to you all and keeping eating manju !!!
your posts seem more relaxed now your getting back on track your last post from home you sounded anxious x x im glad things are on settling some what.
your walk with your dad made me think of my dad, special times XXXX im sure he is up there wishing pheobe well too.
much love and many prayers as always
becky mark and molly
Hi to you all
I read these posts with such pride at your courage and inspiration. It is a long journey ahead and some days are easier than others yet I look at the photos you post and feel close to you all.
You are such an amazing family. I hope that Phoebe's sickness subsides and she gains a little more of her appetite back.
Sending all our love and best wishes
Michelle and Owen
xxxxxxxxx
Hello!!!!I am glad to here that
Pheobe is eating!!! Thanyou for
the lovely christmas presents.
Hope phoebe is well and of corse
you
love from Eve Blogeroonie
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!how are you doing. I am rilly glad that phoebe is eating!!!!!!!!!. thank you for the birthdy and christmas presents love from madeline
Hello my lovelies,
How do I begin to express how much I admire all of you. Phoebe especially for her diligence, her tenacity, her humour and her sheer gorgeousness, you (Lynn) and Ade for your never ending devotion, love, positivity and sheer stamina, spirit Eleanor for her Angel love and strength who I have know doubt is with you all every step of the way, and your wonderful families who offer such amazing support to you all. As I read of your struggles with the NG tube, the lack of appetite, the sickness, it brings back so many memories for me of being with Ben through his illness, and though the illnesses are very different, there are many similarities. I remember the sheer exhaustion and wonderng how I was going to put one foot in front of the other and please let tonight last 50hrs so I can get some rest! You are all so very brave and truly majestic. Phoebe and Eleanor are so lucky so have such lovely parents and I am honoured to know you. Always in my heart and my thoughts. God bless, Angels abound. With much love, Julie x (& Angel Ben)
Just had to add one extra bit - Lynn, the photo of you kissing Phoebe, what can I say? Your total and complete love for her shines through - amazing! xxxxxx
Just had to say that photo brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful snapshot of love! You really are amazing people. I am a very proud Godmother and am sooooo proud to call you our special friends!! Love and angels Helen
Hello to you all!
Well you have truly gone and set me off now!!! I am sat here with tears rolling down my face just looking at the photo of mummy and precious daughter - it just says it all!!!ABSOLUTE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, TRUST AND DEVOTION!!!!!! WOW!
Maddie was looking and noticed that Phoebe seemed to be growing back her hair a little bit. Is this right - I'm sure I saw some new hair there too!
So pleased that things seem to have settled for Phoebe's little tum - let's hope it continues and her appetite grows with it! Keeping everything crossed for you all, and thinking of you so much.
Much love and thoughts
Jude West Maddie Alex and Chlo-Jo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lynn loved the pics - the one of you kissing Phoebe is lovely. Hope the steroids give Phoebe an insatiable appetite for a while. Can we see Phoebe's hair coming thru' on the pics where she's wearing your shoes or is that just trick of the light? Who knows it might grow back completely different - my niece who had chemo at 12 yrs old had straight hair pre chemo but wonderful titian curls after although she didn't think they were so great, I don't suppose you do at that age. Try & look after yourselves -Lots of love Maz xx Love from all at Redstone too
Post a Comment