Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Transplant Day +41 - The Twists and Turns of Phoebe's Journey

Hello there Fellow Bloggers,

Thanks for joining us today, we hope you have all had a good day, Thursday tomorrow and nearly the weekend!!

Awaking this morning, we all felt a little more refreshed having had a full night’s sleep, Phoebe was up and about with boundless enthusiasm ready to start her day, it’s wonderful when she calls me each morning.

Over the last few days I have been chatting to friends and we are still amazed how well Phoebe has progressed throughout her treatment. The time has gone so fast and looking back Phoebe seems to have coped so well throughout her time in hospital especially during chemotherapy and the subsequent weeks following the transplant.

As we focus on day to day living, this point in Phoebe’s journey is surprisingly becoming the most challenging. Without allowing panic to set in, Phoebe weight is giving us a little concern. Although we completely understand this is a totally normal process following a conditioning treatment and Bone Marrow Transplant, it brings a little worry that Phoebe isn’t wanting to eat at all and its so unlike her. I’m sure there is many a parent out there that understands this feeling. Phoebe is generally so spritely and before she went into hospital, we can’t really recall a day that she was unwell. The sickness seems to be taking its toll on Phoebe at the moment and although it reduced over the weekend, she has been quite sick over the past couple of days. As I explained yesterday, she has lost some weight since being discharged and we are mindful to try and increase this each day.

So far today, we have managed to give Phoebe five nutritional feeds, although she has been sick a couple of times following her afternoon feeds. She has been unable to eat anything apart from a few teaspoons of porridge this morning and a small piece of Scottish pancake. Phoebe’s energy and liveliness has been up and down really with having soreness in her tummy, it’s like the flick of a switch, she is very active one minute and then quite subdued the next, at these times we take the opportunity to have lots of cuddles as she is normally such a busy girl!

The folks came today and as always they continue to reassure us that Phoebe’s appetite will pick up and she will be fine, we know that all will be well it’s just coping with the twists and turns of the journey.

Gwen kindly brought us some tasty sandwiches which Val kindly made for our lunch along with a portion of a fabulous lamb dish Kevin had made at the Tollgate, thank you so much for looking after us so well. You see, we have angels everywhere support us on this journey, our lives are truly blessed.

Thank you bloggers for all your messages and little tips to help Phoebs appetite, we’ll try them and let you know how we get on!!!

For now, as we need to give Phoebs another feed tonight before we head to bed, we’ll bid you Goodnight and I’ll pass on a kiss to Phoebs for all of you and we look forward to catching up with you all tomorrow.

‘We do the work of angels when we reach out for someone.’

With love and wishes for a restful sleep
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor xxxx

3 comments:

sheena said...

Hi All,
I can't believe that I am the first person to blog today - obviously all the American contingent were too busy recovering from Obama celebrations yesterday to blog last night!
I can really imagine how this must seem the toughest time - I guess you mentally prepare yourselves for the hospital part and look forward so much to getting home - and of course there is still so much recovering for little Phoebe to do. You are so right that we all as parents worry about our children's eating - but you know you are doing all the right things to help her build up her strength again and she will!
Keep smiling and we will keep sending all our love and energy up to you all,
Take care,
Lots of love, Sheena , Rich, Isobel and bump xxx

margeurite79 said...

Hi hun,

I only found out today about what has been going on with Phoebe and you guys from Debbie. My thoughts and love are with you guys, I know what you as a family are going through, it is not easy but remember that you have a couple of angels looking after you. Phoebe, little princess, big hug to you and mummy a big hug to you too, hope to see you soon at the mums journey group.

Loads of love, Margeurite, Daan, Cornell and angel (with black wings) Kyle. xxxxxxxxxx

Lissa said...

Hi Guys,
It is so true that as a Parent you will always worry about your child eating. That is usually one of the first things I ask Shawn whenever I see him. A good example of that is your TROOPS,they are always making sure you guys are well fed. Phoebe will come around and I was thinking last night that it really isn't all that long ago that her little body took on so much. I'm sure as a little more time goes by she will be so much better with her eating. It seems like she would really want to eat, but her tummy is just not fully recovered yet..
I hope today was better for all of you.
Lots of Love
Lissa