Sunday, 7 December 2008

6th Day of Conditioning Treatment

Hi there and welcome to Day 6…!!!

Hope all is well with you guys, Aaah…isn’t this good…what fabulous energy this blog is creating. I’m really enjoying writing the posts each day and chuffed so many of you look forward to the updates…thank you for the inspiration and encouragement to keep going.

Ade seemed a little concerned last night when I was writing the blog as he hoped it wasn’t too much pressure on me each day. He said he hoped it wouldn’t tie me down too much and this gave me a giggle really as it's not as though I’m actually planning to go anywhere!!! Bless him, he is thoughtful….now this leads me nicely onto the Angel Blessing which is where I’d like to start tonight.

‘Angels can fly because they take themselves so
lightly.

G.K. Chesterton
One of the most important things we feel whilst being in hospital with Phoebe is to keep things as normal as possible and this includes embracing the lighter times. You can so easily get bogged down with the monotony of hospital life. Phoebe is reminding us each day to keep giggling and smiling and to keep things as light as we can; it all helps to get her and us through each day!!

Phoebe’s blood counts are changing daily and the regime of chemotherapy and drugs has made Phoebs look a little pale. Since finishing her blood transfusion she had a good nights sleep and looks so much better today. She's done really well considering all of the fluids that have been through her system constantly for the last 24 hours and, therefore, more frequent nappy changes.


Phoebs usually does really well with her oral medicines but on one occasion she was a little sick today; maybe she wasn’t quite prepared as we give them fairly quickly to get them over and done with. Talk about team work…thank goodness the troops came over a little earlier! It was all hands on deck and poor Phoebs, bless her, she wasn’t quite sure what to do with herself. We calmed her down, reassured her and after two minutes she was sitting in her cot entertaining us all with her Upsy Daisy impressions and told us all about her picture of Pooh Bear on the wall. Kids are so resilient, don’t you think??

Phoebe seems to be coping quite well even though she is in isolation due to a virus on the ward. It's actually not that bad spending the days in this room (we'll take a few photos of it tomorrow for you) and it's just a case of keeping her occupied and entertained I guess. When the troops arrive it makes things so much easier. Phoebe was so pleased to see them this afternoon and guess what….Mum and Dad B. brought with them….a big jug of Lobby to have for our teas, and Gwen (Mum O.) keeps us topped up with lunch sandwiches a plenty! In all of our life’s trials there are always blessings!! Each day Gwen, Mum and Dad travel over here with bags of goodies in tow to keep us going…'Cheers!', we really do appreciate all of your help, just hope Ade and I are even a quarter as good as them.

Talking of goodies today, we had a lovely visit from our friends Berge and Estelle. They came over to see us and Estelle brought with her some home made Banana Muffins (which might I add are fabulous and are well worth a taste) and lots of other goodies besides. Before we came up to Manchester, we were given lots of lovely gifts from our friends to make it easier for us; you know, all the home comforts. Estelle even made us up an Home Comforts kit with Tea, Coffee, gorgeous Chocs and some tasty hot chocolate drinks - more blessings!!! Shall we start a campaign and see how many blessings we have each day?!! Thanks for your unending thoughtfulness and generosity Est., and this also goes out to all of you for all the lovely gifts, love and support. Phoebe also had a little package today from her friend Macie; her mum Helen had helped her to put some pictures together for Phoebe to look at and even laminated them for her so that we could clean them with sterile wipes. Our friends are very thoughtful; thanks Macie and Helen and we hope all is well xxx

As you all can see our friends and family mean a great deal to us and without you all this would be a far more difficult journey.

A couple of special mentions tonight are for our cousins Lissa and Family over in the States. I've only just seen your comments tonight and it's lovely that you are in touch. Oh and yes I have no doubt your mum will be watching over us, bless her xxx

A big Hello to Susan, Shawn and the Gang also in the States. We hope you are all well, love you and miss you and we look forward to future visits to you guys over there xxx

I would like to finish tonight with one of my special moments; it's been a long posting tonight and you’ve done well sticking with me. Actually I thought it was going to be a quickie but you know me, I enjoy a good chops!!

Can you remember the special moment I had with Phoebe the other day when she had a bath? Well I’ve just had another one of those. Alison, one of our nurses who is looking after Phoebe tonight, came in to bring the last of her oral meds. this evening at 10.15pm. We had also woken Phoebs earlier on give her meds. at 8.00pm when she did really well and went straight back to sleep, bless her. Alison stopped with me whilst I gave them to her as Ade had gone back to his pad for an early night, he’s shattered. We gently woke her and I asked her to help Mummy by holding her dummy whilst I gave her the meds from a syringe. Then I asked her to pop her dummy in after each one to help her to swallow it….oh my goodness, she just did it with a total understanding of what she had to do. Alison was really pleased with her and you can you imagine how I felt!! Honestly, her acceptance never ceases to amaze me. Ok, I am falling into that ‘Proud Mother Syndrome’, but I know you won’t hold it against me!!! All of the children that surround us are amazing as they remind us to do so many things that we have forgotten, or don’t make time for as we get swallowed up by the pressures of daily life…..we should take a leaf out of their book!!!

It’s been nice spending time with you and I wish you all a restful sleep, may your angels and loved ones in heaven watch over you and keep you all safe.

Until tomorrow my friends xxxx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should make no appology for "proud mother syndrome" you have a very special and brave little lady and we ae all very proud of her.....
not long till rest day now!!!
x x x x
much love

becky, mark and molly

Unknown said...

Hi Lynn, Ade & most especially - Phoebe - This is such a great idea - I am so thrilled to be able to share your journey and to hear how brave Miss Phoebe is being.We are thinking of you all and everytime I pass our church I say a little prayer. Take care and I will be on everyday to check how Phoebe is doing.Love from sunny Cheekpoint. Carmel. P.s. my e-mail address is carmel.jacob@clemhire.com

Michelle and Owen said...

Thank you for the time and effort taken to keep us all informed on how you are all doing. I describe it as my nightly "conversation with you". It is lovely to see the photos of you all and Phoebe's beautiul smile.

Owen says "hi"

Congratulations on getting your part in the Christmas play Molly - sure you will be a star!

lots of love
Michelle and Owen
xxxx

Parsnip said...

Your little Phoebe moments make me cry Lynn! She is adorable!

Love the pics you put up, especially the one of the three of you together. Although to be honest, the pic of Estelle's banana muffin was damn good too.....mmmmm, muffins......

Thx for the shout out on the blog, makes me feel kinda famous!

Take care all of you, I know it's a lot on you (even if you are a gabber Lynn) but keep posting, it's so good to hear what's going on.

Take care, thinking of you!

DenXXXXXXXX

Klates said...

Hi guys
Just returned from a great weekend. As you know Ade we always discuss Hut and Hut related issues after the main meal. This years discussion centred around yourselves and Phoebe.

For the first time in 30 years unanimity was acheived when the boys decided to donate their refunds to Pheobe through the Donna Louise Trust. This money I banked £145.00 and we will send a cheque on behalf of the Oldfield family to the Trust.

We talked about blood tranfusions and, although I bloody well hate needles, I'll give it a go. I have a card signed by the Huttees and, if you can, I'll give it to you in the White Star next Tuesday (16th) on our Xmas Looney's cheese night. Fully understand if you can't make it. God Bless Klate xxx

sheena said...

Hello all,
So pleased that things are still going well- love the pictures and I make sure I catch up with your news everyday - I'm glad that you are feeling the energy and love that everyone is sending you.
Take care and keep smiling!
Sheenaxx

PS - I think I am addicted to reading your blog...so pleased you are finding time to write it for us all!

Lissa said...

Hi Lynn, Ade and Phoebe,
I love reading the blog, your special Phoebe moments are my favorite ( so please keep writing about them). It works well for me with our time difference by the time I get settled in you are writing. I checked it last night and read it, but today when I went to it the pictures were there. It was so good to see the photo of your Mom and Dad. My Shawn read your blogs today and was so upset by what you are all going through (My own proud Mother Moment Syndrome that your 26 yr old can have some feelings for someone other then themselves). He said Mom what a beautiful little girl Phoebe is. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you every minute of every day. I look forward to your updates. If there is ever anything I could do for you over here, please let me know.
Love Lissa

Helen Phelan said...

What a blog! Hope we're live this time. You really are a remarkable family - our thoughts and prayers are with you all especially Phoebe Margi!

Hey, Phoebe keep making your Mum and Dad proud - talk to them, play with them and help them along the journey. You're a real bright star.

In our thoughts and prayers:
Andy, Helen, Calum, Holly & Rebecca xxxxx