Welcome dear friends to our 6th day after Transplant. Tonight will be a little shorter than usual as we have had a lovely visit from Helen and Jude this evening.
Firstly, Phoebe has done very well today and we believe she may have reached a plateau in her recovery which is an excellent sign. Maged and Shiva have both checked Phoebs today and are really pleased to see how well she is doing. The level of Mucositis in Phoebe’s mouth has so far been extremely mild compared to what we were expecting. She is showing a great interest in her toys and having stories as well as her daily fix of In the Night Garden!!
Throughout the day, Phoebs has had no appetite. This is to be expected at this stage of the treatment and gives no cause for concern as she is currently receiving all her nutritional requirements intravenously. She has, however, been drinking more pre-boiled water today than we have seen in the past few days…oh and of course her usual daily cuppa (she drinks Yorkshire Tea Nowadays!! De-caff mind!!). This is a really positive sign so hopefully things are on the up and up.
What are your favourite things about your children? Today, I discovered how much I love Phoebe’s comic timing; she absolutely has this down to a ‘T’ especially when we are hiding things!! She's just so funny bless her. Phoebe’s understanding of language is incredible and she astounds me every day. Today, she told me she was ‘balancing’ the pillow on her feet; I actually did a double take and asked her to say it again, and it was definitely ‘balancing’!! She also has a great memory and is now counting up to five and remembering "A,B,C,D"!!
Phoebe’s pain level was much better today and we managed this quite well on 2ml of Morphine per hour. She has been much more comfortable and her little bum is just starting to heal. It is possible that we may see some positive changes over the next few days and the doctors are reassuring us that Phoebe is doing really well.
Now..just have to share with you a few more things before we head off for an early night….
We had a lovely visit as always from Sarah our BMT Co-ordinator this morning. She very kindly brought a card which had been delivered via the Anthony Nolan Trust to the hospital; it was from the stem cell donor. Oh my goodness, I have to say the overwhelming feeling of emotions were incredible for us all. Sarah was surprised that we had received contact so soon. I was looking to reply maybe after a couple of weeks and was writing a few things down ready to compose our letter of thanks, not that there are actual words to convey the feelings of indescribable gratitude that we feel. The correspondence, as we explained in past posts, has to be kept anonymous for two years. However, when I read the message the instant feeling was of a comforting familiarity and bizarrely we have almost identical handwriting!! The message read:
‘I am very pleased to have been able to do this for you and would like to wish you all the very best for the future’.
[The online version of 'Connections', the Anthony Nolan Trust magazine, is definitely worth a read. - Ade]
What a wonderful morning!!! and it continued throughout the day. There was a real jolly atmosphere on the ward and the nurses all had fine voices singing the traditional Christmas songs. Gwen, Nan Marge and Geoff came today and, as always, it was lovely to see them. We had yummy BLT sandwiches with the bacon cooked by Val at the Tollgate. Thanks Val!! Miss you all xxx
We have received lots of gifts,thank you all. Phoebe received a parcel from Molly and Becky and it was a lovely Barbie Hat; hopefully we can sort a piccie out for you!!! [Sure can! - Ade] She looks great in it, you are too kind. Thanks for you daily comments and the hat. Kisses to you from us all xx
Thank you Rose for the box of chocolates that you sent with Mum, we are pacing ourselves and these are a real treat, bless you xxx
Phil and Lynne, thanks so much for the Christmas bottle of 'Vom Vass Marc de Champagne Truffle Liqueur', one of my faves!! We look forward to having dinner with you guys when we return home,it’s been too long!! Phil and Lynne are family and have the Vom Fass store at Trentham Gardens; pop down and have a look as they have some fantastic ideas for Christmas Gifts!!! Hope all is going well at the store and we’ll see you in the New Year. Xx
Phoebe received some very special gifts today from our friends Rachel, Darren, Amelia, Jocelyn and Spirit Sam. Rachel’s father has very kindly hand-painted a truly wonderful picture of 'Upsy Daisy'. It is fantastic Peter, thank you so very much, you have a wonderful talent. We will get this framed for Phoebe as her first piece of original art. Thanks too for the purple elephant guys, she loves it and Phoebe’s favourite colour is purple just like her dad!! You are too kind!!
As I said earlier, we have had a welcome visit from Helen and Jude, two very dear friends of ours and mutual friends of Parsnip and Manju. It was great to see them and lovely to catch up on news from home. We received some lovely gifts; thank you Jude, West, Maddie, Alex and 'Chlo-Jo-Malo-Jo' for your messages, the special angel bear and the Angel of Courage. You are so kind. Also, a very special Thank you to your Class F2 Green at Park Hall Primary School for the wonderful Christmas hat you made for Phoebe. We will hang this on the end of her cot. Bless you all and I’m sure Santa will bring you lots of fantastic things as Mrs. James says that you have all been so good!!!
Helen and the Gang, thanks for your gifts,we will be sure to open these with Phoebe tomorrow. xxx
Helen, Jude and I had plenty of laughs about the blog and all the comments…our family and friends are our riches. It's friends like you that help us through these challenging times in our lives, you help to make us the people we are!!! Thank you, with love xxx
It would be great to chat more, especially about the comments on the blog, it’s so entertaining!!! Ade and I will have a closer look tomorrow and answer any of the questions. It was lovely having you pop by folks, but we're going to get some shut eye early tonight…
For now fellow Bloggers...
‘Who does his best his circumstances allow does well, acts nobly; angels could do no more.’
Edward Young
With Love xxx
9 comments:
Hi guys
Got a few tears in my eyes after reading about the handwritten note from the donor. I wonder what her story is? Maybe she lost someone to cancer and this is just what she does so hopefully others don't have to go through her pain. What an unbelievably fulfilling act. I have a friend who's Mum's handwriting is very similar to mine and I got a card from her just yesterday...it is kind of a spooky feeling of connection isn't it? I love my friend's Mum, she is an amazing woman, so it's a good feeling.
Great to here you had a good visit with Helen and Jude! I bet you had a laugh with them! I'm sure all the visitors you get lift your sprits a lot.
Phoebe sounds so clever! Patrick and Helena didn't even start walking till they were 16 and a half months! Phoebs sounds like she'll be reading War and Peace soon! Fantastic to hear about the plateau! Never mind all those stem cells, I bet it's all that Yorkshire Tea! (decaff mind!!)
Good question about our fave things about our children. I like how Patrick (aged 7 for those who don't him) hums to himself as he scurries about. He is into being a rock star right now and very un-selfconciously air guitars and makes up the words, he gets really into it! I love that! Once again for those who don't know, Patrick has autism (mild-moderate) and so doesn't automatically conform to the same social rules as us neuro-typicals; this makes for some very interesting comments, reactions, interests etc! He is totally unabashed and uninhibited by our social rules and I absolutely love it.
Helena (aged 6) is a total comedian and can really make me laugh. She is also very patient and loves to shop with me. In many ways, she is very like me and reacts in the same way. Some hooplah went on at school recently which mortified me at the time but now I see the funny side! It is totally what I would have done at that age. The child takes no crap! I LOVE how she will stand up for herself.
Estelle! That does sound DELICIOUS! The only food we grow right now is rhubarb but it's currently buried under a mass of snow and ice so it's not exactly edible. I will try that one when it starts growing again! My husband would like cumin on the parsnips....he is a cumin freak, it goes on everything.
Good night guys! Sleep well! I'll see you tomorrow!
hi guys
glad pheobe liked her hat and that it arrived safely.....
my favourite thing about molly is her laugh..especially when you tickle her under her chin...its uncontrolable!!
a whole week has passed now since pheobes transplant its amazing!!
....well busy day ahead, molly has her mmr and we are going to see caitlin and jayden (marks children) in their school christmas play.....
well mark is just cooking breakfast so better go and supervise before i get burnt offerings
much love and prayers as always
becky mark and molly
sorry i could not come tonight and see you with the gang but my time will come every morning at 6 am i am with you all the time in my thoughts and prayers, you are such an example to us all about the reality of life and the things that really matter, i shall fuse this computer with my tears i keep getting it all wet . i am going to france with simon and sara and family next week so au revoir till i blog again, liz xx
hello
I am glad Phoebe is doing well, her pain is easing a little and that she is enjoying a good old "cuppa". It's wonderful to hear about all the support you are receiving from friends and family. I hope you managed your walk today - didn't quite see that in your blog??? must of missed it ?
Was hoping to come and see you again before Christmas but struggling a bit with Owen not been allowed on the ward - his reputation must precede him!!! and think I might get in trouble for locking him in the car in the hospital car park!! I will therefore get Phoebe's Christmas present to you another way and see you before the new year.
Speak to you soon
Lots of hugs and kisses to Phoebe
xxx
Here's a poem to make everybody smile, especially Phoebe.
On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So its Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go ping
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang
What a noisy place to belong
is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!
Spike Milligan
Merry Christmas. Let the new year bring you hope and happiness.
Paul, Sheila, Gareth, Sarah, Emma, Olly and Shiva x
Love it!
Hi Lynn, Ade & Phoebe, Once again so pleasing to read how well your little princess is doing ( bit of a posh babe on the yorkshire tea not your standard Tesco hey!!)Geoff was telling me today how she loves her new hair cut, she is adorable. My hubby has just said even tho he has never met her he feels like he knows her from your lovely words everyday, Justine (my eldest) has said a prayer with her friends for Phoebs at school in the chapel, she even spoke a lot about her to Mary the Chaplin! Keep up the good work guys you are doing a fab job Lots of Love always Lois, Just, Justine & Livvy xxxxx
Hi Guys,
Hope you had a good day today, I just realized that the long rambling blog I sent you last night never posted. Now where on earth good it be and what poor soul got it.
I was also in tears reading about the note from your donor, what a wonderful thing to do for someone.
I love Phoebe in the hat, I hope you can get more photos of her on there (Please Ade) she is just so adorable.
When Shawn was her age, he loved to sit with my Mom and share her cuppa with her, he wouldn't want his own cup, he had to have hers with her. I know somewhere there is a picture of it and I'll find it and send it to you. I guess even at his age now (26) he can still make me smile. I do enjoy when he will come sit by me on the couch and watch TV with me like he always did when he was a kid, and he will still talk through the whole show. He is forever catching me doing something stupid and he will just shake his head and say Mom you are going to be one hell of an old lady to which I reply Good thing you are my only child you won't have to share me with anybody..Poor kid I almost can feel sorry for him, but as they say Payback can be rough.
Lynn I picked up the book today and will start on it when I settle in. Look forward to your blog later. I hope you had a chance to get some air today.
Parsnip how is your weather? We are expecting some snow this weekend, but it's usually not much. We haven't had much in the last couple of years.
Love to all and give Phoebe a kiss from her rambling American cousin.
Love Lissa
Hello! It was so lovely to see you all yesterday! I feel so much happier having seen your 'space' and knowing the ward that you are on. Phoebe looked so settled and comfortable - the little star that she is......... Maddison asked how Phoebe was today - I found that really touching for a 4 year old. I told her that i would try to show her a picture of Phoebe - is that possible from the blog? (Ade - it's over to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Hoping you have had another positive day - thinking of you all and sending lots of love and prayers
Jude, West, Maddie, Alex and Chlo-jo-Ma-Lo-Jo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment