Christmas Week!!! Hope you are all well and looking forward to the break!!
Thanks for joining us today and can you believe it, we have been in three weeks tomorrow!!
It was a very late start for us all today and we managed to have a little lie in, even though Ade didn’t realise it until he woke up in a bit of a panic. It was Sunday morning after all and it’s nice to relax just one day of the week!! In hospital it can feel sometimes that each day rolls into the next, but we have a fairly good routine. Some days actually feel like a working day and today actually felt like a Sunday…if you catch my drift!!
Sarah Weatherby, our BMT co-ordinator, was in the room when I awoke. For some reason we just started with the giggles….it reminded me of the times when we are away with the girls; great way to start the day and I think Phoebe felt the vibe as she woke in a little giggly too!! Sarah was taking some blood from Phoebe and these consequently showed her Hb to still be a little low so she would definitely need a transfusion later. Thank goodness for all the people who donate!!! Although Phoebe has a low Hb we are pleased to say that other parts of the count have increased again. The counts may from time to time reduce a little but overall we can expect to see a steady rise.
Phoebe happily played most of the morning; we had a late breakfast and she managed to eat 21 Cheerios precisely, as Ade had counted them!! Oh and a few sips of her Yorkshire Tea decaff of course. We were so pleased that she was interested in breakfast; the day was just getting better and better.
It was nearing the time when the troops were arriving and when Mum walked through the door, she said Sarah had called to her "Aah the troops are here"!!! I think everyone is glad to see them as much as Phoebe and us!! Unfortunately, although she felt fine, Gwen had a bit of a croaky throat so she felt it best to stay out of Phoebe’s room today just as a precaution. Hope you are 100% tomorrow Gwen!!
Phoebe didn’t fancy much lunch although she did lots of cooking and making tea with her tea set. She really does love it, thanks again Fay and the gang!! We have noticed how much Phoebe is copying what is said now and has started to say the nurse’s names. This morning she gave Sarah and Irene stickers for their ID badges!! She even called Rob Wynn, “Bob”, the other day..it really made him smile!!
Thanks guys for all your lovely gifts and cards; we started dancing to the ABBA CD along with Anne our nurse!! Phoebs loved the book too, bless you. xxx. Thanks also to you guys for the special torch, it was so exciting to see the shadow of Iggle Piggle on her ceiling. Wow, Eve and Madeline..Yum Yum...your home-made biscuits have gone down a treat. They were really tasty and the nurses loved them too with a well deserved cup of tea!! I have given Phoebe a kiss from you all. We miss you xxx
Dad and I went out for a nice walk and actually left the hospital grounds; we just kept walking and it was lovely to discover that we have a beautiful park 10 mins away. Luckily my navigation skills from the Duke of Edinburgh Award days (hello to all of you!!!) stood us in good stead for making it back (round the block) and it was great to spend some time, just Dad and me.
By the time we arrived back we had another surprise as Gary and Lisa had come to visit us. It was great to see them and Gary looked remarkably well considering
he was out with the guys in Birmingham last night!!! Can you remember the 1970’s fibre optic dome lamp? Some of you may have had one. Well, Gary brought a battery powered one for Phoebe today and I have to say it's fantastic, she loves it. Being as Phoebe is quite tactile it was funny to watch her touch it as it’s visually mesmerising!! Go on then, what are you waiting for? Get yourselves down to Asda!! Lovely to see you both today.Ade and I have spent some time today looking at the Anthony Nolan Trust area on YouTube. I have to say, it’s so uplifting watching the different stories about donors and recipients, first time meetings and other really interesting stories. Take a look..it’s well worth the time!!
We have noticed that Phoebe has seemed a little tired today but she’s having the blood transfusion as I type and will be raring to go tomorrow. Although her Hickman line is still a little tender she has been much better overall and we have reduced her morphine again so we will see how she gets on. Her little bum looks so much better although she is telling me it’s a little sore; we’ll keep plastering the Vaseline on and see how we go. Phoebe has had some sickness today due to the mucositis but she deals with it so well and immediately continues playing when its over and done as she’s so resilient bless her.
Well..another day done and another step closer to home. Linking me on nicely to Sam’s question:
When can we expect to be home?
At the moment it’s likely we will be home by the end of January, maybe a little earlier depending on Phoebe’s blood counts. When we arrive home, we will still be in semi-isolation and unfortunately Phoebe will not be able to have any contact with children for a good few months until her counts have stabilised. This is only a short time out of her life and she won’t remember any of this. We are so glad to be doing this blog for her with you are all taking part, how fantastic is that?!! Thanks for your lovely txt and question Sam xxx
Parsnip, we may do a Christmas Special, just wait and see!!! Lovely to be in contact with you xx
Again, thanks for all your love and encouraging messages of support, we will be sure to give Phoebs a big kiss for you all xxx
For my God-Daughters, Eve, Madeline, Molly and Darcy xx
‘Winter begins with an icy chill as clear as a crystal angel sitting by the window watching for snow’
Wishing you all a restful sleep, with love,
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor xxx
17 comments:
Hey, where are you all, its been like 5 mins since I posted!! Love 'em, keep 'em coming!!!!
Hi Lynn,
I always try and give Parsnip the first writing of the night, unless Gary beats her to it. I was actually trying to be patient and see if Ade was adding anything.
I seem to write immediately only to go back and see photos or links posted.
So I will wait a little longer,
Sleep well and Love to All.
Love Lissa
Hilarious Lynn! I was waiting like Lissa! Andy just served up delicious home made pizza so I scarfed that before coming back on here!
Glad you got a bit of a lie in.....I always wake in a panic like that if I sleep even 10 mins longer than normal at a weekend! And your walk with your Dad sounds good Lynn, you must do that everyday.
Happy I did wait - I was so excited to see Jonathan!!!! I can post a link to the neighbourhhod bookclubbers who all love him but have never seen him (one of them reads along, you know who you are! J is the one in the middle!) Look at him, he is so cute, always smiling!
I wondered where Gary was last night!! He was out on the town!
Are multiple blood transfusions pretty normal at this point ? I'm guessing so as you don't seem too concerned.
Well better post this so you don't come back on here to tell us first responders off for being tardy LOL!! I'm still willing her blood levels up. And thx again for the videos - we're watched them so many times - we love Phoebe's face right as she finished kicking her feet! Priceless!!
Night night to you all:)
DenXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Oops forgot to say something to Lissa...I saw you guys are supposed to get lots of snow real soon! Enjoy! And stay safe! We finally got a plough back here today so we were released. The wind was crazy though, so cold! I went out out for a bit this afternoon and nearly got blown over several times! With the wind chill the temp is about -10 (that's around -25 for you people in the UK! Don't tell me you're cold over there!).
Hi Parsnip,
I just checked our local 10 day forcast, no snow for me. Wednesday its supposed to be about 50 degrees. We had some rain early this morning, and it was kinda cold 30's, and thats cold enough for me. Maybe sometime you can tell me how you wound up in Michigan. We do have 50 states. Why are you be in one of the coldest ones?
Stay Warm
Sorry for the bad english in that last sentence-- i sound like a hillbilly. This blog needs spellcheck..or I need to read through before I rush to send
Good morning my brave warriors!!Hope your Monday doesnt feel too much like the normal Monday morning...but very glad that your Sunday felt like a normal Sunday , lie ins and all!!!! I can't wait to see Phoebe again in person as it were and give her the biggest cuddle!!You are such lucky and lovely parents! How nice for Phoebs to be saying the nurses names....by the end of this journey just try and imagine the amount of lives she will have touched, along with her gorgeous and brave sister Eleanor! We miss you and look foward to another trip to see you soon!The girls say a big hello and are glad that Phoebs liked the cards too! Send down our biscuit orders for the next trip....quite alittle cottage industry we could make out of this!!! Denise....I need your address....still can't beat the old paper and pen...not sure that this technology lark is all it's cracked up to be!!!!!Have happy and peaceful day to Manchester Childrens hospital and all patients and to all you bloggers out there!!!
morning all.... love the new pic parsnip!
hope the blood transfusion has made pheobe feel a bit better and that the counts are climbing
willing them on and sending love and prayers as always
backy, mark and molly x x
Parsnip, I think you jinxed me.
I got up this morning to 16 degrees and whipping winds, but no snow. It should get into high 30s by afternoon.
Lynn, I hope all is going good so far today. Gotta get back to work.
talk to you later
Well good afternoon all bloggers it is manju! i am at work at the moment and my last patient has not turned up, it is only 3 more sleeps till christmas and i have masses to do!!!!! and i am here!! Actually lyn reading the blog although you dont want to be where you are it does sound like a lot more fun that sitting at work!!!
must go now that darned pt has turned up! lots of love manju xxx
Ha! Sorry Lissa! I saw on the weather a few days ago that they were saying snow for the NY/NJ area at the start of this week! But that can change and it looks like it did - a bit! Stay warm over there!
My story about ending up in MI....hmmm well the quick version is....met Andy in nightclub in Dublin (whilst we both lived in London, turns out we grew up just a few miles from each other up in the north of the UK and our Dads knew of each other!)......6 mths after us meeting, his company asked him to transfer to MI.....so we did 19 months of going back and forth across the Atlantic till I had the guts to chuck everything in, career, friends, home and move over here to do nothing all day long which frightened me....turns out having free time is not scary.....active minds make for active people, boredom is totally a choice....and I began loving my life again, something I hadn't done in years - you don't always realize you're unhappy when you are in the midst of something.....we got married and lived in MI for a year before Andy's company moved us to North Carolina (Charlotte) for almost 7 years... then a little more than 2 years ago they moved us back up here again! Right before we moved here, Andy was down to one of two for a job in Sydney, Australia (he didn't get it!) and in Sept he applied for a job in Sweden but his company has a hiring freeze right now so that never happened! I have no idea where we'll finally end up!
Have to say that I really do love Michigan, cold weather and all! The summers here are AMAZING! They make up for the cold! I feel far more at home than in NC, not that I hated it there, I just know more people who are like me up here (same wave length) and have found people to be more accepting of differences, religious and otherwise. We live in a great area with amazing neighbours and schools. Just as well we're happy here in Michign cuz I doubt we'll be leaving here for a long time, not with the economy tanking and the house market in tatters!
Am monopolising, sorry guys!! BlogHogging again! One last thing - Helen - I'll call you later with my addy!!
Parsnip, I actually went to NC for the first time last May, I thought it was ok couldn't find a decent cup of coffee anywhere. I have a friend who just moved last year to South Carolina, and she loves it there. The cost of living is a little cheaper down south then where I am. Talk to you later gotta get back to work lunchtime is over.
Hey auntie lynn,Phoebe and uncle Clade,I'm missing you all so much!I
can't wait to see you all again.I'ts
good to here that you like your CD
and Phoebe's book!Hope we can catch up with you soon.
from Molly(bloggeroonie)
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
P.S keeeeep dancin!
hello all
Can't belive where the time is going and Owen is counting his "sleeps" to Christmas as well!!
Everyday is one day closer to coming home and near the end of Jan doesn't seem so far away now. Will be fantastic to see you all home.
Lots of hugs and kisses
xx
Every day I read your blog and every day fills me with such love and prayers for your safe arrival home. Yes ok, you have twisted my arm, I will give blood, Darren too (but won't tell him yet!! haha). Glad to hear that you have been able to reduce her morphine and glad that her sickness passes quickly, so resilient which is good. I am also pleased to hear that you have taken yourself our for walks daily, thing of all that healing energy.
Sounds like Phoebe is quite taken with tea making. You shall have to have a tea party with all her new frinds (lumpy the heffalump likes a little honey in his tea, especially from Pooh.xx).
Amelia loves looking at the pictures of Phoebe and the videos were great, "play it again". She asks so many questions. She really amazes me sometimes. Hope your sitting Lynn coz the other day, after I had picked her up from school and got in the car she shouted so loud it made me jump, "happy christmas Sam", blinkin ink I could of burst there and then. Wow. She must of held that in nearly all day. Then she broke into song about santa. (sorry but I just had to share that with you). Alex was playing with Jocelyn today and he said "watch this". She put her arms up straight in the air and he tickled her, I thought great and carried on with what I was doing, she then flung her arms up by her ears and again he tickled her, ahh she was playing with him. Later I thought I would have a go but she gave me the dont be silly you no Alex look and carried on chewing her blanket, charming.
Q. have you any idea when Phoebe will be going onto the ward or is it still too early to tell??
Anyway I think I have waffled on for long enough.
Love and big hugs to you,Ade, Phoebe and the all important Troops.
Rachel, Darren, Alex, Amelia, Jocelyn and Spirit Sam.xxx
Hey Michelle!
It was so good to see you and Master Owen (still funny how I saw him first!) - don't forget, bell us when you're free, and we'll get together next week!!!
Post a Comment