Saturday, 20 December 2008

Transplant Day +9 - Part II - The Road to Recovery

Welcome to Part II of today’s journey with Phoebe.

Hi again, we hope all is well and that you liked the video from the Anthony Nolan Trust that we added earlier. Ade and I have talked in length about how many people are still unaware of the changes in procedure when donating stem cells and how much easier and less intrusive it is to do so nowadays (see 'second method' at this link). Hopefully, we can help the Trust out next year by maybe running a recruitment day at the Tollgate; we would like to give something back and I know there will be a few of you keen to do this, making the whole process easier for you to do so.

Phoebe had a really settled night’s sleep but awoke this morning quite upset about the site around her Hickman Line. It seemed very tender and she wouldn’t even let me see if there was anything wrong. Phoebe said it was sore, bless her, but after a little while and Mummy’s cuddle she calmed and fell back asleep. We asked for her morphine to be increased to 2.5ml and she has been more comfortable but there is still some tenderness.

During the morning Phoebs was quite perky and played really well, although later she became a little tired and took a nap. We sometimes forget what she has been through but we understood a little more when the results came back showing her Hb to be a little low. Rob called by and thought she may need another blood transfusion, but her bloods were repeated and these seemed to improve. Today has been the first time where we have seen a positive change in the blood counts. Not wanting to get too excited but it looks like we have the start of white blood cells being produced, although it's extremely early days yet.

Phoebe was still sleeping when the troops arrived and it happened again; I stood by the window, looked out and there was a vacant parking space by our building. I thought to myself, "If they hurry that space will be free for them", I turned around and there was Geoff reversing into the space. It never ceases to amaze me when that happens and it happens a lot believe me, it always brings a smile!!! Gwen climbed out of the van and saluted like Norman Wisdom, it's turning into a real comedy moment when they arrive each day. Even the staff on the ward are asking if the troops have arrived yet!!!

The afternoon was a relaxed pace with both Nans here being completely entertained by Phoebe. It is just so lovely seeing her interacting with them. By the time the guys were due to leave, Phoebe was getting a little tired and started to feel sick. The Mother’s instinct this time came from my Mum, with the bowl standing by, they reassured Phoebe that it was ok and her body was making her better. She just seems to understand and accept all these things, just truly remarkable.

Before the folks returned home I managed to get the daily walk in and today focused on my breathing, taking in deep breaths and filling my lungs as much as possible. This really helps and definitely clears my head and I today enjoyed the solace and the sound of the birds chattering away. As most of you know Ade isn’t keen on walking, thought he may benefit from it today to avoid listening to Stoke being beaten badly at the time! [Oy! - Ade]

Ade had some time with Phoebe this afternoon and managed to get these for you (below)….Even though we are in a very unnatural environment, Phoebe seems to be coping very well and developing remarkably. She continues each day to show us how resilient she is and this helps us to cope each day too. Soon we may be able to go out onto the ward again and I know she will be thrilled when we may be able take her on our daily walk, bet you Ade will come along then!!





Lissa, thanks for you question. I don’t tend to nap in the day as I
try and keep my routine too, it helps my sanity. Usually I will head off to bed around 12.30am when I have changed Phoebe’s last nappy; I’m good on 6 hours! It will be nice to chat about the book more on e-mail: lynn@oldfields.net xxx

Phoebe received a lovely package today from her good friend Ashley, Thank you for that. Phoebe really enjoyed playing with the book and blocks today. Hope you are all keeping well, especially bump!! Keep us posted on your news Sam.

Hi to all the junior Bloggeroonies, I will pass all your kisses on to Phoebe and thank you for your lovely messages. xxxx

Finishing off tonight, I would like to congratulate another Lynn (who is my temporary replacement at work) on becoming accepted as a new foster mum. There are so many children out there that will benefit from spending time with you Lynn, we hope that all the prayers said for you at the group each week has played a little part in it too!!! Remember me saying Lynn, if it's part of your journey to do this, it will happen. So pleased for you xxx. Thanks for passing on the news Annemarie, nice to hear from you and pleased you like the blog!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to visit us and all of your comments (Parsnip – you had that photo of Su and I spot on, couldn’t stop laughing for ages!! :o). We do so appreciate all the love, support, gifts and cards; you are all too kind xxx

‘Peace on the earth, good will to men. From heaven’s all-gracious King. The world in solemn stillness lay to hear the angels sing.’

Edmund Sears

Wishing you all peaceful sleep, with love xxx

12 comments:

Parsnip said...

Here's hoping those levels keep going up, I am willing those white blood cells to elevate! Hope the Hickman Line site stops being so sore for Phoebe, poor baby.

Love the visual of the Norman Wisdom salute! I can picture it!

You're right about stem cell donation and people not knowing it's easier now. No one I have mentioned it to round here knew that.

Right well, it's a quick one from me! Have to put the kids to bed. They have just watched some Disney (Jonas Brothers movie), a rare event in our house, and I need to counteract the brainwashing that has just taken place with some good old fashioned stories. They're after us all, those Disney people, just watch.

Have a great night Oldfields....sleep tight!

DenXXXXXXXXXXX

Michelle and Owen said...

Morning

Lovely to see the video of Phoebe I can see she has her mother's spirit!! Good news on the blood count let's keep praying for them to increase daily.

lots of love and hope you getting lots of sleep cause santa nearly here (that means you too Phoebe!)

speak soon
xx

Michelle and Owen said...

Just listened to your twinkle twinkle (it hadn't loaded earlier) its beautiful

so lovely to hear Phoebe's voice, feels like you are all right here

just beautiful - lost for words now

xx

Parsnip said...

Just saw the video! WOW! Listen to that child sing (you were great too Ade!). Her speech is amazing! I love the photos but that was a real treat for us Bloggers! Thank you!!!!! Do a talky blog Lynn!!!! I love talky blogs!!!

Den

PS the word verification I have to type in to post this is BLEST which sounds just like "blessed" which is what we Bloggers are after watching the video!!!

Lissa said...

Hi Lynn, Ade and Phoebe,
I love the videos. I have played them several times and just really enjoy watching them. Another busy day for all of you. I'm glad to hear the blood counts looking good.
I'll certainly be praying for those counts to keep rising. No matter what obstacle comes her way, Phoebe just gets it done and moves on.
I'm enjoying the Angel book, trying to take my time and really absorb it all. Would love to chat about it sometime with you.
Enjoy your tomorrow and say Hi to everyone for me.
Love Lissa

Andrea said...

Hi guys,

I shed a little tear at the vids. I can't wait to cuddle Phoebs again!

I have a question (to anyone?). Some years ago, I registered as a bone marrow donor with the National Blood Service:

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/marrow_info.html

....how does this differ from the Anthony Nolan registration please? Are both registers ultimately one big database? or do I need to register separately on both? Anyone have any idea?

Have a good day all

Andrea

angela b said...

Dear Lynn,Adrian and Phoebe
It's so lovely to see the photos of you all (and your celebrity friends1). Phoebe looks amazingly well.
Fingers crossed about the blood results.
Stay strong
Much love
Angela B

Lois and Just said...

Hi Guys, Sorry I ve not been on for a couple of nights we have no internet at the mo (somet to do with a fault on the BT line!!) so i ve had to pop round the "in laws" to get an update!! It all sounds like its going really well and hopefully the white blood cells will continue to increase. I love the Videos of Phoebs its really good that you are able to video her on this incredible journey, my youngest Livvy (2) watched it and on the 2nd viewing she asked if she was better now!! (so sweet) "i told her she will be soon sweetheart!!" Also ........I am not at all jealous of you meetin the gorgous Will Mellor (You have my number if he pops in again!!!) and Lynn i would have had smile like yours if I was stood next to him too!!!!!Seriously its lovely that they visit the kids. Take care all of you Lots of Love Lois, Just, Jus & Livvy xxxx

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for the white blood cells...willing them along x x

sarah said...

Keeping our fingers crossed about the white blood cell count, it was lovely to see the video's of Phoebe and to some point listening to Ade's singing!!!! We all miss her so much, and of course mummy and daddy too.

So glad that youv'e done this blog, feels like we're all there with you guys too.

Take care and speak to you soon.
BIG hugs xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello again!

It was so lovely to hear and see Phoebe having so much fun and singing today - what a fabulous blog this truly is! It just goes to show her fighting spirit - what a little star xxxx

Thrilled with the blood results today - let's hope that they keep rising!

Will blog on again tomorrow - take great care of eachother.

Much love to you all

Jude west Mads Al and
Chlo-Joxxxxxxxxxx

helen whitehurst said...

WOW! what a treat the videos were! The girls just loved them and Phoebe in true form made us all laugh ( and of course me cry!!)She is an icredible little lady She is making us the proudest God parents in the whole wide world!!We are all cheering the white blood along and asking our healing angels to help the process along too! The girls (minus one) had a get together this avo.....Lynn we miss you so much!!! Its just not the same without you. We are all looking foward to coming up together to pass on the gal power thang!!Although you are definately getting some strong Angel energy at the moment and rightly so!!!
Love You all, please give Phoebes a big smakeroo from The Whitehursts!!