Thanks for popping by for a further update on Phoebe’s Journey through her Bone Marrow Transplant.
We were all a little tired yesterday so we caught up with a little extra sleep which was much needed. Phoebe is doing well and has been on good form, she's now on IV Paracetamol and this really seems to be helping her. Phoebs is showing a few more signs of pain with the Mucositis, which again is to be expected, and the doctors and nurses are helping us to manage this.
We have had a fairly relaxing day today; Phoebs had a little lie-in again which helped us to get ourselves ready. I did a few nappy changes and such in the night but even so had plenty of sleep.
To catch up on a few things from yesterday, we had a lovely visit from Jonathan last night (Phoebe’s Godfather). He brought some lovely hand-made Christmas pictures from Eve and Madeline, thank you girls, they are super and you both have lovely handwriting too. Phoebe was really pleased to see Jonathan and gave him a beaming smile through the window. I would just like to say congratulations to both Eve and Madeline; I understand last week was very special for you as you were officially welcomed into the Catholic Faith. As your Godparent I promise to guide you throughout your lives in faith and pray for you everyday. God Bless you both.
We had to shorten the blog last night as Phoebe was a little unsettled, although she has been well today. She tends to feel a little offside in the evenings. Today we noticed a few little strands of Phoebe's hair on the pillow. I must admit, even though we were told that Phoebe will lose her hair due to the effects of chemotherapy, it is still a little upsetting. On the positive side it will grow again when we start to reduce the medicines mid next year. Phoebe has a small area of cradle cap on her head and I will focus on clearing this for her with some good old olive oil and then Phoebe can start to wear the fabulous hats we have been collecting!
We had the folks come to visit, it was lovely to see them as always, and I'm glad to say that Gwen is feeling much better now. Gwen and Geoff brought with them the most fabulous roast lamb dinner for Ade and I which Kevin at the Tollgate so kindly cooked for us…it was mouth-watering Kevin, Thank you. Nan came by too and she kindly brought us some delicious salmon sandwiches for lunch…we are extremely blessed to have you guys looking after us so well.
Gary and Lisa also came to visit today; Phoebe really has a soft spot for Uncle "Ga-yeee" and he brought some lovely book sets for Phoebs. She will play with them for hours, oh and eat them as well!!! It's always lovely to see you guys; Gary gave me a ‘Big Brother' talk today. He is concerned that I don’t get enough fresh air so I have made him a promise to do a lap of the hospital each day when the folks arrive!!!...and I will!! Thanks for your constant love and support both of you xxx
As we said in earlier blogs it’s nice that some of you are getting more familiar with each other in the comments and talking between yourselves. It's like one big family and we always look forward to reading them as we hope you all do reading the blog. By the way, what’s all this talk of publishing it? ;o) [I think she should! - Ade]. That is very kind of you to say that, completely mad at the same time, but thinking about it I will take it as a real compliment especially if families find it helpful to read if they are embarking on this type of journey.
I hope you are enjoying the angel quotes at the end of each posting and as some of you may know, angels have played a very special role in my life since I first asked for their help with Eleanor in 2005. Since then I have been developing my relationship (which is a very working one) with them and keeping my friends up to date with the angel happenstances (as we call them!). This is when I receive help which can come in lots of different forms. Well..today I have received a lovely letter from Lisa at the Tollgate. She has a little angel story and I thought it would be nice to share with you.
Lisa has been looking for a special gift for Phoebe and, as I previously mentioned in the blogs, we are putting up some decorations in her room. Lisa asked her mum to keep a look out for ideas….Now, bear with me, Lisa’s mum works on the checkout at Tesco. A lady customer came through with her shopping and Lisa's mum noticed a lovely angel that the lady had put as part of her shopping on the conveyor belt. Immediately, she thought this would be the perfect gift that Lisa was looking for. Lisa’s mum asked the lady where this was located in the store and, whilst serving her, she told her Phoebe’s story and why it was special that the angel would be perfect. When Lisa’s mum finished her shift she entered the store to get one when a member of staff stopped her to tell her that someone had left a gift for her at the customer service desk. The lady who had gone through the check-out earlier had left the angel for Phoebe with a message to give her a big hug. Lisa finished her lovely letter by saying… it is up to us to wonder who the hug is really from….erm…we’ll take that one, thanks Angels!!! The Angel is very special Lisa and Phoebe loved it!!
Before we returned to Manchester for the BMT I had a good chat with my angels, asking them for their love and guidance to help Phoebe during her transplant and recovery and also to guide us too in helping her to heal. Maybe this is why we have felt so comforted and well looked after here. I feel a calming reassurance surrounding us, bringing any help we may need through this time. They come in all kinds of disguises…You know who you are!!!
Now, as promised…lets have a look at the comments. I will try and reply to some of you tonight and more tomorrow xx
Hi Est., hope all is well, thanks hun for having an ‘Agra’ in our honour and we have contemplated checking the delivery charges !! xx
Hi Sarah (Scott) – hope all is well with the Scott Clan. We are doing our best with
Hey Lissa and Family across the pond…hope all is well over there. Just to answer your question, Phoebe is now in isolation as she has no immune system. Ade and I are with her and I am sleeping in the same room. We have two additional nominated carers which are my Mum and Gwen, so it is important for them to avoid crowded public places etc. and to keep as healthy as they can. The nurses and doctors come into the room only when necessary and also try to reduce infection by passing items through two cupboards in our room. These 'In' and 'Out' cupboards have double doors and also open onto the ward. We now have to wear disposable plastic aprons when in contact with Phoebe and medical gloves when changing nappies etc. The paramount thing to remember is hand washing, constantly. My hands are a nightmare as they are extremely dry and chapped, even though I am using all the hand cream people so kindly have sent, throughout the day. Visitors are allowed onto the BMT Unit but not into Phoebe's room, and there is a family room, kitchen and laundry. On each of the cubicle door windows there is a disc that you speak through (a little similar to those that banks had in days gone by) and we are lucky to have another window too. Hope this answers your questions and let us know if you have any more. Thanks for all your love and prayers xx
Hey Den, yer blog hog!! That’s so funny :o). Regarding your question on Phoebe's obs., these can vary from every 5 minutes during transplant to every half hour during the administration of Ciclosporin (this can elevate blood pressure) to every 2 to 4 hours otherwise. However, the nurses will do her obs. whenever we request them. As for what we do when Phoebe sleeps; if it's for a nap in the day then we will tidy the room, check blog comments or take turns to see visitors in the family room on the ward. Very occasionally we may have a nap too. If it's in
Hi there Matt and all the tekkies, glad you are logging on to the blog. Hope you’ve sorted the viruses now…hello to all the gang xx
Hey Lois, thanks for your comments. It will probably be early January before we are back at home full-time. We will need to bring Phoebe back twice weekly for blood tests for a while and then we hopefully will have our cares transferred to Stoke. Thanks for all your good well wishes. xx
Dear Molly, thanks for your lovely message and I look forward to receiving your gift, bless you. Hope you enjoyed your shopping at Woolies and bagged yourself a bargain, honey. Miss you, hope you are well and looking forward to Santa coming!!! xxx
Thanks Deb and all the gang for naming your Christmas Tree star Phoebe, that was lovely. May you have love and light all around your lounge!!! Lovely to hear from you all, thanks for your love and prayers xxx Love to the family
Hi there Sheena, not long to go now hun!!! Hope Isobel feels better soon and you can then try and get some rest too if you can!!…Also hope all is well with Richard and your good self and thanks for the really positive and encouraging comments on the blog!!!
Susan, Miss you so much, lovely to hear from you hun, love to all the family xxxx
Mum, Love you, thanks for your unconditional love and support and I don’t know where I’d be without you xxx
Thanks to all of you who have left messages for us, we really appreciate your love and support, will finish replies tomorrow.
Well folks another day done and the time is flying by. We hope and pray that Phoebe will continue her speedy recovery and with your love and prayers we are sure to be home very soon.
For now dear friends,
‘The strength of an Angel is her purity. Truth be known, this is the
strength of each of us.'
Wishing you a restful night and a Happy Monday, see you tomorrow xxx
17 comments:
Hi Lynn, Ade and of course Phoebe,
Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate it as I think of Phoebe all the time. I can't turn the computer off at night till I get your update. I was wondering if you could let me know (whenever you have a chance) if there was a certain book you read when you started your interest in Angels?
We are all fine and my Shawn just got back today from snow boarding in Vermont (no he isn't a snow boarder) so you can imagine how happy I was when he came home with nothing broken. Much to his dismay, thanks to cell phones and texting I can always find a way to check on him. God bless him, he will always text me back, not always happily, but he will respond, and boy am I glad all that wasn't around when I was young. Well have a restful night and I look forward to your blog tomorrow. Hugs and kisses for Phoebe. Love Lissa
Laughing with Lissa cuz I can't turn off the computer at night till I have checked for an update either! You are late tonight (not telling you off!!) and I was getting a bit worried....! I might be getting a bit obsessed about y'all!
Never occurred to me that having no immune system means that Phoebe's sores can't heal, poor baby. And the hair, even though you were prepared that must have been hard:( Must have been lovely to see Jonathan!
LOVED Lisa's angel story! What a lovely lady:)
Must be a blog hog and say hi to Sheena!!! I didn't know you were pregnant again deary! Huge congrats and will try and get your email addy. Take care!
Have thought for years of having my own blog but (a) I can't think of a name (I'll know it when I hear it! and (b) there's no question it would consist exclusively of opinionated rambling!! I'll keep you posted on all of that!!
Take care all of you over there - and your brother is right Lynn! Get some air - just stay away from dirty germy people whilst you're out in it!
Tons of love
DenXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi all
Glad Gary had a "brother talk" as knowing how much you are at one with nature and your angels it is so important for you to take that breath of fresh air and help to clear your mind when needed...so do as you are told!!! Lovely to hear from you and the pictures are as beautiful as ever. Phoebe just keeps smiling for the camera..or her daddy in this case.
Sending my love and can see a shopping spree coming on for some gorgeous hats for Phoebe (even though I can only imagine how upsetting this part will be for you all).
I keep praying for Phoebe's bloods to rise each day - Owen sends all his love and loves to look at the photos each day and excitedly shouts "there's my auntie lynn".
Love to you all
speak soon
xx
morning, molly and i getting a daily up date while tucking in to our porridge...molly always points at pheobe in her sun glasses although she doesnt say many words yet im sure her babbles are sending love and hugs. we went to church last night to sing caroles by candle light and we said many prayers for pheobe and you all while we watched the flames flickering. molly and i are going to trentham tiny tots tommorrow so will update them on pheobes progress as i know they are all praying for you.
much love and many prayers as always
becky
Brother knows best!
When Mum and Dad come over later - GET THAT COAT ON AND GET YOMPING!!
5 mins a day
:o)
Speak later x
Dear Lynn Adrian and Phoebe.We just returnd from our trip to Stoke and the Tolgate.Me and Ana heard about the news,and it was heartbroken. We will follow the journy on blog and pray that her Bone Marrow Transplant will be succesfull.Lots of love Peter,Ana,Maria and Mark Hoekstra from Holland
Dear Lynn, Adrian and Phoebe:
We just arrived from our trip to Stoke and The Tollgate.We heard about the news and it was heardbroken.We hope that her bone marrow transplant will be succesfull and we follow the journey on blog.
Lots of love, Peter, Ana, Maria and Mark Hoekstra from Holland.
Lynn Adrian and Phoebe
Just wanted to say Hi to you all and send you lots of love and strength. Phoebe is so amazing through this as are all of you.
Love and Kisses
Joanne (Mums group treetops)
Hi Phoebe, Mummy, Daddy and lovely grandparents
So wonderful to catch up again on your progress...you little star!!
Glad to hear how well you are doing.
I love reading your angel quotes Lynn and one day in the not so distant future I hope to have have a lovely chat with you about those special spirits.
I just can't express how fantastic it is to read your blog and have daily connection with Phoebe's progress and your family. And yes I agree with all the other Bloggers and Ade it shoud be published you have such a wonderful way with words. Another gift!
Great that you were able to get out for lunch. OOoh that garlic bread must have tasted great!!!
My little artist sends his cuddles to Phoebe!
Take care,
Hugs and kisses from "The Boultons"
xxxx
Dear Lyn
Just tell that parsnip that we have all heard enough of her inane rambling and god help us if she starts blogging!!!!lovely to hear that again you had a good day,thinking of you always!
love Manju
Get back to drilling teeth Brummie LOL, I know you're on the 'puter at work.......lazy private dentists.....
Hi Lynn Ade & Phoebe, Lovely to read your blog again just like everyone else i agree you (Lynn) have a fab way with words and although its lovely to see how well Phoebe is doing i cant help but shed a tear! (sorry but she such a brave little girl!!) She looks such a happy little sole in your pictures, she is so beautiful! My eldest baby Justine (nearly 12, I know i dont look old enough!!!) goes to St Thomas More Catholic College, she asked me if she could say prayer for Phoebe when they go to the Chapel and light a candel for her, I said i am sure it would mean a lot to you all that she is praying for Phoebe to make a full & speedy recovery. I let you get on as i am sure you have plenty to be doing. Take Care, our thoughts are with all of you everyday, Lots of Love Lois & Family xxxxx p.s Mark P ,Cheese pass on their thoughts too xxx
Hi all
Just checking in after a busy weekend. Glad Phoebe is ok, thinking about her all the time. Its so nice to see Phoebe smiling on all the photos.
I will send Phoebes christmas present up soon.
Make sure you stay well and look after yourselves, Phoebe needs a mummy and daddy who are well.
Take care
All our love as always
Leanne Chris and an extra big lick from Max and Milly xxx
Hey!!
Well done guys - you're all doing soooo well! Your words are so touching, Lynn, and Phoebe is so lucky to have you and Ade for her mummy and daddy - what a team you truly are.
We are all enjoying logging on and hearing all the latest - Maddie and Alex are busy at the moment 'creating' (!!!!!!) cards for you all! Thay have chosen a special gift for you too, which I am hoping to bring up with Hel one day soon!
Hoping today has been another positive one for you all.
Take great care - look forward to hearing more of the same - well done to you all.
Love to you all,
Jude West Maddie Alex and Chlo-Jo-Ma-Lo-Jo
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi ya,
Loving the story about the angels!! I'm sure they are all looking down on you guys, and not forgeting Phoebe's big sis Eleanor.
Glad your all doing well,and am so glad that Phoebe's doing so well!! i'm sure that if Charlotte could speak she'd be asking when she can play with Phoebe again....on that note hopefully when they can play again lottie will be walking as she's doing really well with standing up now.
Thinking of you guys all the time, loads of love Sarah, Grant and little Lottie xxxxxxxxx
Hi Lynn, I have just been reading your blog and find it amazing that you are able to recount all the happenings of your family's day to your friends and family. I do hope that Phoebe is continuing to do well and that your strength and courage will continue in her journey. I think I can speak for all at the yoga group in wishing you all the best. We had our last session last week and David helped us in our final meditation and we all sent you our special yogic thoughts!! Did you feel something last Thursday?
lots of love Catherine
Wow! Thanks so much yet again for your beautiful words & pictures. Got really emotional reading that one guys, especially the fact that gorgeous Phoebe will have to endure the hair loss. It may sound strange but her patience and courage really come through on the photos, she looks full of wisdom for such a little lady. I know you said the mucositis was essential to help the stem cells graft, and I really hope it can do its job without causing Phoebe too many complications / adverse side effects. You all must be so exhausted, we are thinking of you constantly my darlings! Shared your precious blog with my sister today and she sends her love & prayers too.
Stay strong, we send you all our love, prayers and positive energy
Sarah & co
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Post a Comment