Thursday, 18 December 2008

Transplant Day +7 - One week since the Transplant!!! - The Road to Recovery

Good Evening Dear Friends,

Hey, thanks for taking the time to come and see how Phoebe is doing. We have received an amazing amount of positive feedback and messages, especially over the last days, talking about the impact the ‘blog’ is having on everyone. Well, we are overwhelmed by the amazing support everyone is showing to Phoebe and us and this is why it makes the blog so special as you are all a part of it, being ever present on the journey with Phoebe.

Wow, isn’t time moving fast?!! Can you actually believe it has been one week since Phoebe received her Transplant? The days seem to fly by here and, I’m pleased to say, with every new day we appear to see a great improvement with Phoebe. Of course, there are times during the day where Phoebe is uncomfortable but, considering what she has been through, we can’t expect too much of her.


This morning was a fairly early start at 5.15am. From the moment I heard Phoebe’s first murmur, I just knew she was feeling sick. The Mother’s instinct is incredible, and I was right. Phoebe’s sickness is probably due to the mucositis that is all the way from her mouth, down through her gut and then out of her sore little bum. These little bouts of sickness are daily but she copes very well with them even though it's awful seeing her upset. They don’t seem to last long and she is right as reign after. Phoebe hasn’t had much of an appetite recently, although she is trying the odd teaspoon of cereal. Today she ate some bread and butter and half a pot of yoghurt, which is fantastic!!

On the ward round today we asked the consultants about their previous cases to compare Phoebe’s progress and, as we are reminded, each child is different going through the BMT procedure. They assured that Phoebe is making an excellent recovery and they can expect her to continue on this path. We also discussed how well Phoebe appeared to be managing her pain level and after talking with one of the doctors, Helen, we decided to reduce her Morphine intake from 2ml to 1.5ml per hour.

By early afternoon, we could see a change in Phoebe and she became really uncomfortable and was unable to sit on her sore little bum so we increased the level again to 2ml. She was much happier with this when she awoke from her nap. For the first time in a week, she has sat in her high chair and played on her floor mat, next to the cot. Even though Phoebe hasn’t walked for over a week, her legs are remarkably strong and she surprised us again by wanting to stand. We will encourage her to do what she feels comfortable doing but be mindful that she may become tired easily. Phoebs has been doing lots of counting today and she really likes singing the alphabet song; she’s been on good form!!

The folks arrived today, determined as ever to get through this time together and it always helps with bacon and cheese oatcakes in tow! Gwen also brought some bacon and egg sarnies which were delicious too. How good are our Mums? Mum made us sausage and pork casserole for our dinners tonight and we have sweet & sour chicken from Gwen and Geoff for tomorrow. Thank you so much xxx - You'd better get ready for the flurry of orders for your delicious food!!!

Gary came today and, bless him, he brought Phoebe a lovely little Pooh bear with angel wings and a halo. She loved it and just wants to kiss it and everything else whilst she’s at it!! I have been giving her lots of kisses too from everyone reading the blog!

Today has been a fairly steady day and all was chilled until Gary, doing his big brother bit, practically ran Dad and me out of the building for the daily walk. Daily walk?….more like a hearty jog; I’m only 5” 2’ you know! ;o) He said he wanted to give me a cardiac workout too; steady now..one bit at a time. To be fair I am so unfit but catch me in the pool and I’d really give him a run for his money!! Always good to see you Gary and thanks for all your love and support. Hopefully, we look forward to seeing Lisa and your good self at the weekend.

As we approach Christmas, the nurses and staff look forward to the annual visit from local celebrities. There was a little anticipation and excitement wondering who would be gracing our ward and we very kindly had a visit from actor Will Mellor, actress Shobna Gulati and boxer Jamie Moore. They all took the time to visit each patient and their families and brought with them some lovely gifts. Phoebe received a very cute pink Piglet (the size of Phoebe!!) and some DVDs. As Phoebe is in isolation, we popped outside the room and had a chat with them on the unit. As she was asleep, we showed them some lovely pics of her and Eleanor and had a brief chat about our girls. Bless him, Jamie Moore got a little upset and had to walk away for a while; I dare say it really hits home when you have children yourself. It was nice to meet them and they took time to talk with us and explained a little about the charity work they participate in. By the time they had finished their visit, Phoebe had woken up and she gave them a lovely smile as they peaked through the glass to wave Good-bye. We gave them details about the blog and you never know they may join our journey too!!!

Tonight some dear friends, Theresa, Helen and Phillomena came over for a visit. It was a real pleasure seeing you all and that you brought lovely news, messages, special gifts and wonderful cards galore. Loved the hand-made cards kids too, bless you. The wax rubbing of the Christmas candles were brilliant!!! So sorry Bradley that you were upset about not being able to come and visit Phoebe, but Mummy gave me a big hug from you and I will pass on all your kisses in the morning sweetheart xxx

It was so great to see all the girls and they were telling me about the impact the blog is having. We are so surprised by the fantastic, encouraging response; it has been totally unexpected. It's a real pleasure to sit and relax at night, telling you all about our day. We find it rather amazing that so many people are interested, some even hooked, and they await our daily updates!!!

To Pat and all my friends at the Prayer Group, thanks for remembering me and sending the little chocolate parcel. Hope you are all well and I look forward to catching up with you all soon xxx

Hi to the all Langleys: Auntie Pat and Uncle ‘H’ thanks for the lovely hamper, voucher and gifts; you are all too kind xxx

The cards, messages, love and prayers we receive from everyone continue to help us through this time and without you all I’m sure we would be in a very different place.

Just under a week now to Christmas, hope all you 'Bloggeroonies' have written your letters to Santa!!!

Ade and I really enjoy reading the comments and it’s great to see the ripple effect occurring between you guys. This keeps us ‘courageous’ to face each day, ‘patient’ until we can return home, ‘accepting’ of the journey and ‘smiling’ reminding us to keep our sense of playfulness and humour.

I would like to dedicate tonights Angel Quote for Maria and Family…please accept our love and prayers on your recent sad news...in memory of your special Nan.
‘In the lights and glimmer of modern Christmas decorations we see a tiny speck of the brilliance that is the reality Angels see, share and return to when their task on Earth is complete. It’s a brilliance we can see one day for ourselves when our task is done as well.’
For now dear friends…see you again tomorrow for another instalment.
Wishing you all a restful sleep xxx

22 comments:

Gary said...

I thought I'd beat Parsnip to be the 1st poster tonight (or this morning).

Just got in from the Biffy Clyro gig (look them up Lynn..!) - v.v.good although my ears are still ringing!

Great to see you today and don't be such a wuss about the 'power walk'. What you were doing was a "power dawdle"

G x

Lissa said...

Hi Lynn, Ade and Phoebe,
The picture of Phoebe is beautiful. I love it! Thanks Ade.
It's funny that Gary said he thought he would beat out Parsnip to be the first poster tonight because I usually try and wait till she blogs first before I do so I don't look like the blog hog.
It sounds like you had another very busy day and Lynn forget the power walk do you ever get to take a little nap at some point during the day?
I had wanted to tell you that I think the story of your Journey with Phoebe should be published. I have found it so inspirational so I can only imagine how someone going through what you are going through would find it so comforting and encouraging. Phoebe is so very lucky to have you both as parents and you are both so lucky to have such a wonderful little girl.
Till tomorrow..Love Lissa

Michelle and Owen said...

Morning everyone

Well glad to here of your contact with the outside world today - even if the walk turned into more of a sprint, can just imagine your face now and I am smiling!!

Phoebe looks as gorgeous as ever in her photo and like you said I can't believe where the time is going. Her improvisation on the hat front is a credit to a budding fashion designer!! Great to speak to you earlier and your positive voices on the other end of the phone always make me smile.

Hope you all have a good (and for Phoebe, comfortable)day.

love and prayers

Michelle and Owen

xx

Anonymous said...

see i knew i was right when i mentioned publishing your blog... your courage and stregth is second to none and im sure im right in saying on behalf of all fellow blogeroonies that we are so amazingly proud of not only fab pheobs but of you, ade and your mums and dads for the way you are dealing with pheobes journey.. you are truly special people and i am humbled to have you as my friends.

marks daugther caitlin is adding pheobe to her prayer at church on sunday

much love and many prayers as always

becky mark and molly

helen whitehurst said...

Hello my brave warriors! Catching up on the blog now and time to send a little message to you wonderful people! It was great to see you guys the other night and beautiful Phoebe. Although you won't like me saying it you really are inspirational.How you manage to keep so strong and chipper...I know you are having some very special help from our Angel friends!The ripple effect is full speed ahead and we have Phoebes courage, bravery and ability to keep smiling to thank for it. She really is amazing!We all feel very privaliged to be part of your large family of friends!

Kate said...

Phoebe isn't the only one loves the hat(s)!!! Great to hear all the progress, time has flown.

Lynn you need your daylight dose every day!

Much love and kisses

Kate, Max & Jess x

helen whitehurst said...

Hello Aunty lynn,auncle Ade and
Phoebe I have read the blog and
Phoebe looks verry nice I am
verry prowed that she has done
so well.Hope she is all right
tomorow.
Love Eve bloggeroonie!

Andrea said...

Aloaha!

I'm loving the pix of Phoebs! Little babe! I wish I could bottle that smile :D
I'm sorry I couldn't make it with H & Jude on Wednesday, but I am pleased and happy to report that Molly 'Cheryl Cole' was brilliant in the 'Production' (I'm not allowed to call it a play or anything else - !) needless to say, I cried all the way through, all the kids were 'mazin' - you would have been v.proud! It was one of those 'aaahhhh' events!
Your walking story got me chuckling - just like Michelle, we can just imagine you! Next time - see if Uncle Clade fancies it as well!
Well, I'm off for now, please give Miss Phoebs a big fat hug from us...hopefully see you at the weekend sometime? I need some good girlie time!

Awww Miss Eve - what a lovely post! So clever! Are you all excited for Father Christmas coming? Big hugs to you & Madeline!

Oh, by the way - I've got a few friends now who've registered as bone marrow donors - so Phoebe's ripple will help others too!

Ta-ra a bit

x

helen whitehurst said...

Hello i have ben reading the blog and looking at the picturs. I like the one whith phoebes new hat. I woud like to get phoebe a present is there eneathing she needs?

lots of love madeline bloggerroonie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah said...

Keep up the excellent work people. Phoebe looks great in her hats and she still looks as 'buddy gorgeous' as ever. You are never far from our thoughts & prayers.

It's great to see some celebs popping in and sharing their time with you, no doubt breaking up some of the monotony of daily hospital life. Each day of recovery brings you a day closer to being back home together.

Glad that Phoebe is more comfortable with the pain relief, bless her cotton socks! We are all so proud of you and thank you wholeheartedly for sharing this wonderful, wonderful blog with us all. As I have said before it's a real privilege to be part of it and we're all behind you every step of the way!

Loads a love
Sarah
XXXXX

Parsnip said...

Hi guys!

Gary and Lissa you beat me by a long way! I had book club at my house last night and the daily blog update hadn't been posted when it started. Half way through our a meeting, I tuned in and left the first pic of Phoebe in her hat on the computer (it's a huge screen and it's in our kitchen so it was like she was with us at book club!) Told some of the ladies her story and one of your secret admirer/blog stalkers, my neighbor, talked about how amazing you are as parents. There really is a huge ripple effect from this blog!

How nice of the celebs to pop by....poor Jamie. Got to be honest guys, I can't imagine how hard it is for people to keep it together around you. I get emotional reading this, I'm sure if I was actually there with you I would be quite overcome because I cry at pretty much anything child related, good or bad. Have made quite a spectacle of myself on many occasions; that's what being a parent does to you!

How often is our little hero sick? Does it happen just once a day or more often? I hadn't realized she had walked in so long, that's great that she wanted to stand. I bet she has very little energy.

Hi Lissa! We are in the midst of a snow storm. it's 8.30am here in Michigan and Andy isn't even going to attempt his 30 mile journey to work. We've had prolly 8 inches in the past four hrs and they think there is likely another 6-8 to come. So I have Andy AND the kids at home with me today (they finished school yesterday). At least tomorrow we get to play in it! I love how you make it look like I'm the Bloghog! It's ok, I'll own my title! I'm always on the 'puter every evening when the update comes but I admit I look for it - a lot! Need my daily fix!

Hi Eve and Madeline (we're waving at you from across the sea!) You are such good writers (and already doing better on the computer than your mother!). I know Lynn, Ade and Phoebe will love reading your messages!

Ok, well need to go get another cup of coffee, my head is hurting a little - the book clubbers were a rowdy lot last night and I was forced to ingest a couple of beers too many. BTW Lynn and Ade, Jonathon is President of our neighbourhood book club....the American ladies here just love the sound of him- a well travelled, British, English Lit teacher with a love of talking and a great sense of humour. They have loved his book recommendations and I have told them many exciting stories about him and they hang onto my every word when his name comes up (k, I might have embellished a tiny bit....). He has taken on a mythical status round here and they are just dying to meet him. I get asked on almost a monthly basis when he's coming to preside over a meeting. They are working themselves up into a frenzy and they'll either be disappointed he's not Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice or they'll lynch Helen and proclaim J as their King and carry him on their shoulders through the streets....

Hope you all have a restful, peaceful, happy day. Keep looking forward:)

Tons of love to all of you and your families

DenXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

deb oneill said...

Hi Phoebe,

We see your parents have been hanging out with celebrities at the hospital. You have become a celebrity in your own right and we love how you are becoming a fashion icon with your variety of head wear. Love to you through the recovery, you are amazing (and also very clever with your numbers and letters).

Lots of love always

Cameron and Emma xxxx

deb oneill said...

Glad to see you are doing some exercise Lynn, remember the one we did with Clare at Trentham, poor Phoebe was being jiggled about in her pushchair round the whole of Trentham Lake. There is a wheel like the London Eye there for a year(well obviously not quite like it!!!) Took Cameron on with some Aussie friends visiting this week, good view of the gardens, the incinerator, m6 and Britannia! I have booked Phoebe on it for when she has recovered in the summer.

Was given £200 for Alder Hey Childrens Hospital and the Birthmark Support group as a leaving gift from the staff at Painsley yesterday which was fantastic.

Take care and look after each other, you are all very special people.

love Deb and family xxxx

maria said...

Awwh,thanks Lynn for the angel quote and kind words!You are truly a lovely person and reduced me to tears when I read the blog today!Big kisses for Phoebe and a big hug to you.Prayers flying your way .Lots of love.Maria.xxxx

last of the english roses, said...

Hi Lynn Adrian and Beautiful Phoebe. This is Jackie gallimore from the mums group at treetops. Its so good to see Phoebe is doing so well you are in my heart at all times. I spoke to grandad at tollgate yesterday and sent all my love. Missed you at the group lynn. Hope to see you soon. Lots of Love Jackie x x x I will chat again soon stay strong I know you will . btw, its off my daugthers blog. x

Anonymous said...

Hello to you all!

It was great to see you all on Wednesday and spend some time chatting with you - you truly are fabulous with how you handle each and every challenge - well done, again!
The hospital felt very warm and welcoming, and I feel assured for you all having seen where you are and Phoebe's room - which you have really made your own - very cosy and homely - no doubt just what Phoebe needs to feel relaxed in.
Had a lovely chat in the staffroom at school today - lots of colleagues are interested in Phoebe's journey - I'm sure you will be getting some more 'blogaroonies' to follow you all - watch this space!

Anyway, I hope you have another comfortable day and lots of rest!!! Take great care - look forward to the next installment!

Loads of love and hugs from
Jude West Mads Al and Chlo-Jo-Ma-Lo-Jo
xxxxxxxxx

sheena said...

Hello all,
As always your wonderful blog has brought tears to my eyes.. I love the photos of Phoebe - she looks so amazing considering all that she has been through - as indeed do you - so pleased to see so many lovely smiles.
I hadn't realised that Phoebe hadn't walked for over a week - makes perfect sense- so must have been very moving to see her standing up and it sounds like you are having so many special moments every day.
So lovely to read all the comments every day - especially the banter going across the Atlantic - we can always rely on Den (sorry Parsnip - giving away critical details of your true identiity!) for some great chat!
I started my maternity leave today (hurrah) - I've still got 7 weeks to go - so looking forward to spending time with my little Angel before number 2 makes an appearance. Reading your story makes me realise how incredibly blessed we are and appreciate all the little things so very much more.
Keep smiling, keep getting some fresh air and lots of love to you all,
S xxx

Rach Boulton said...

Hello there my beauties! Yes that includes you Ade!

So lovely to catch up with Phoebe's progress what an amazing little pumkin she is!

I'm really disappointed that I wasn't able to come up and see you all last night but hopefully you'll be OK for another visitor soon?

Santa came to visit at Circle Tots and kindly left a little present for Phoebe which by hook or by crook I will get up to her. He sends his love to her and says that he'll be visiting her very soon.

My little chap was up to his usual tricks yesterday when he opened his present from Santa at playgroup, he looked miffed and said "this is not a present it's a book!".....cheeky monkey!

Tell Phoebe she'll have to teach him some manners for me as he certainly won't listen to me!

Hope that Phoebe keeps improving and her little botty gets better and better as each day passes.

Much love to you all. You are such a wonderful, inspiring family thank you for to sharing your journey with us.

Rach xxxxxx Extra big kisses for Phoebs

Angela said...

Hi Lynn, Adrian and Phoebe.

Great news and pictures. We are all thinking of you at this difficult time. Keep your spirits up and stay positive.

I still think the hat (though lovely) should be red and white Ade!

rayray said...

hi lynn glad pheobe, you and ade are doing well. spoke yo maggie when she came in for her hair today. phoebe looks really cute as ever. with them big eyes and that big beautifull smile.

i'm realy proud of you all. i think your so strong.

me and pete were talking about you tonight (all good thing don't worry lol)... and thinks your all v. brave as he whent through a simlar situation. he is also v. proud and gives his support and wishes.

i'm gald that phoebe and you all are doing well.

thinking of you ever day

Rachel and pete.

again i'm so proud of you boty and of the brave beautifull little girl of yours xxxx

rayray said...

sorry about the awfull spelling. on my last messeage just realised. my excuse is i'm shattered just about to go to bed. plus i'm not v. bright at the best of times. xxxxx

Rachel Ansell said...

Its Late for me and I should be in bed, but I am thinking of you Lynn and Ade and your oh so precious little Phoebe who is ammaazingly stong. Im so proud of her. We are really looking forward to the day you tell us she is ready for the ward. Its now 12.20am on friday and praying all is well (while Darren is snoring on the sofa, says he's tired after swiggin a few ales, who wouldnt be eh?? bless).
Gary was right to take you for a power walk, Ade should go too you know. Just think of all the healing energy (Darren would be saying, what a hippy I am) you will give to the room on your return.
"Lumpy" (the purple elephant) is a not so scary heffalump from the 100 acre wood which you are getting quite a collection of. Is Will Mellor as fit in real life??? ...fwarrr.
I notice that you are family with Lynn and Phil. I used to go drinking with Lynn years ago, what a wicked laugh she is.
Anyway, Im up the wooden hills to bedfordshire now and want to send you, Lynn & Ade and wee little Phoebe a huge hug goodnight.xx
Rachelxxxx