We would like to wish you all a warm welcome, especially those new to the blog. I must say we have had a truly lovely day today…how about you? Maybe it’s all the good vibes everyone is sending our way and the extra vibe for Christmas too!!
We have had a very positive day which started really well this morning and Phoebe was in a great mood. She is falling asleep a little later each night and therefore she is still tired in the mornings. When Phoebs finally awoke, a huge grin greeted me as I ran some water for her first nappy change of the day. Much to my surprise, her bum has really started to heal well and it looks as though she has turned a corner with this. Phoebe is still saying its sore, but in comparison to skin without the effects of chemo, it’s a peach!! We have noticed that now that Phoebs understands and can tell us where its sore, she enjoys telling us rather a lot!
Phoebe’s speech over the last few days has just come on at an amazing pace and she is repeating everything we say…we’ll have to watch our p’s and q’s even more so now! As she is learning everyone’s name it's great when the nurses come in, it really brightens their day when she says "Hi!". All of the nurses want to look after Phoebe and we usually have the nurse in charge; how nice is that? We are so lucky!!! The care here is absolutely fantastic, second to none.
Phoebe wanted to play with her wooden shape sorter as soon as she woke and without prompting she successfully inserted all of the shapes correctly. I could actually see her looking for the matching colour, even turning the shapes around if they didn’t fit…it was amazing!!! Maybe she had been practising in her sleep!!
Rob popped in earlier than expected this morning before his usual ward round, Ade wasn’t here at the time, and he came in with bountiful energy and started to talk blood counts. It was a lot to take in and my brain doesn’t compute that early with facts and figures, that’s Ade's department!! Saying that, Rob is very pleased with Phoebe’s progress and her white blood cells have increased which is fantastic!! Ideally, Rob would be happy for Phoebe to be now semi-isolated but due to the usual winter bugs that are currently doing the rounds, we think it is best to keep her in here for now. We don’t want to rush anything, we're just happy to be where we are and taking one day at a time. Maybe we'll go out onto the ward for Christmas Day, now wouldn’t that be a gift!!!
Shiva and Nuti came to see us a little later and examined Phoebe; they too are really happy with her and talked to us about the next stage of Phoebe’s recovery. For the next year we will be keeping a close eye on Phoebe and watching for any signs of GVHD – Graft Versus Host Disease. This is a condition where the donor cells can sometimes reject the recipient as alien instead of familiar. The docs. have a full treatment programme in place if any symptoms should occur and can treat accordingly. We have been advised what to look out for and hopefully if we can get through the next 6 months, we should be on the home straight.
As the counts start to increase now, Phoebe’s care plan will start to change a little and we will need to focus more on her food and fluid intake. We will start to reduce the special IV feed and all of the meds. that she is currently taking IV; these will then gradually transfer back to oral meds. We will be discharged home on these so we need to help Phoebe get used to taking them again. At the moment we are not focusing on returning home just yet, like I said just taking one day at a time.
Oh my goodness, how pleased were we today to see the troops. Mum, Dad and Nan came today. Gwen still has her laryngitis; her voice sounds so much better, we look forward to seeing you soon and hope you are feeling better. It was great to see the guys today and aaah, they excelled themselves to the max bringing BLT sarnies and a cooked Sunday roast, awesome!! To top it all off, Nan made some of her fabulous milky coffee, in a flask too...just perfect! Mum made some of her gorgeous bread pudding; sorry Paulette, couldn’t save you any!!! It makes such a difference to the day having the folks here for Phoebe and us. She wore them out today and it was a new step too as Mum, Nan and Dad were allowed into Phoebs room…the day couldn’t get any better!! Or could it??
Ade saw Sarah in the corridor and she recommended we go for a run out. I took the plunge and forfeited my walk for a visit to Slatterys which is a Patisserie and Chocolatier Shop, of course!!! There is a restaurant on the first floor although we didn’t make it that far with time being of the essence but …you know how much Ade enjoys shopping!!! I am pleased to say there was nothing plastic and on special offer for £4.99!!! (for Th'ut boys!!). We treated the nurses and staff to some nice goodies!! Bless them. They are all Angels in disguise you know!! Check it out, its well worth a visit.
Now… Lissa, thanks for your question….it takes approx four hours for a blood transfusion to take place. Phoebe’s drug regime has a really tight schedule; it takes a fair amount of planning especially when we need to give anything additional.
Thanks Debbie for the lovely angel you sent, it was very thoughtful, we have placed this on our whiteboard in the cubicle.
Lovely to hear Parsnip that you will be over next year, I know there are lots of people talking about your entertaining comments; maybe we should arrange a gathering for dinner, like erm..straight away….as you know what the Whitehurst and Gour social lives are like!!!
Anyhow, as Christmas approaches I’m sure you are all gearing up for the festivities!! It’s nice to at least be celebrating it a little here, having a few decorations up etc., but it does feel as though we are on the periphery of the normal celebrations. It would be lovely to know what you are all up to…
A special "Hi" to Estelle who is visiting her folks over there in Portugal, having Christmas in a warmer climate this year, hey…get you!!!
A peaceful end to a really positive day...here’s to a new dawn...and Christmas Eve. Santa is popping by late tomorrow evening to leave a present in everyone’s hatch. He stops by all the hospitals on his sleigh before doing the rounds, hope that’s ok with all the Bloggeroonies!!!
For now...
Tonight, I would like to dedicate the Angel quote to a special family we met today visiting on the ward and who will be coming for a stay very soon. We are thinking about you.
‘The feather, whence the pen was shaped that traced the lives of these good men, dropped from an angel’s wing.’With love and wishing you a restful sleep.
William Wordsworth
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor xxx
19 comments:
I am just soooo chuffed that you had a good day - the bum is better and the white cells are up!! HURRAH!!!! And all the talking and the shape sorting! What a day - no wonder you're late posting!! What great news it all is! I've been a bit bah humbug/grumpy today (it happens sometimes Bloggers!) and reading this has really put me in a great mood! Bread pudding is my most fave pudding.....mmmmmm bread pudding.....bet that was good! You're being fed like kings by the troops!
I would imagine cold and flu season would be a hard time to have Phoebe go into semi isolation...I'd heard there are terrible flu epidemics in the UK right now too.
You really do a fantastic job on this blog Lynn, all the medical info and Phoebe moments etc, it's just so fascinating, interesting and informative and I can't wait to read every day.
Funny you should say about the Whitehurst/Gour social lives as it is around them that I have to plan my international visits! Talk about busy! Thinking about it, I'm not actually sure I "cleared" this visit with Manju. She might get quite stroppy when she finds out she has to cancel everything to see me! Hope her next patient doesn't need a filling right after she reads this.....sorry Manj!!! I'll call with dates after you've calmed down!
Our Christmas plans.....As usual it'll be quiet for us as it's hard to persuade people to come and visit in -25 degree temps and many feet of snow! Although it is BEAUTIFUL when the sun is out! But we have our totally fantastic lovely neighbours who always look after us...the one next door is putting on a traditional Italian Christmas Eve which involves a lot of fish/shrimp etc and we are invited, it will be fabulous, I love them all dearly. And then our other equally as lovely neighbours opposite will be having a New Years Eve bash. In the absence of family, it has been incredible to meet such welcoming and warm people....There are times when I miss my family and friends in the UK terribly, and these guys really do make it better. We're going out to a microbrewery on the 27th with all of the folks I've just mentioned and - just keeping it real here Bloggers- I anticipate some urine leakage. It will be a crazy funny night! The 29th is our wedding anniversary - have no clue what we will do for that, we'll prolly still be recovering from the night of the 27th!
Lissa - funny you should work for them as we will be switching to BCBS (Michigan) at the end of this month! Our previous health ins cos have been awful (I'm twitching just remembering some of the MANY incidents we have had to deal with) and I have heard much better things about BCBS! I'm almost excited!
Here's hoping that everything goes ok for the family you met today, that was a beautiful quote Lynn:) I'm sure your strength will be a huge help to them.
Well time to check out....I bet Gary hasn't posted (I see he's dropped out from the late night crew ....slacker) but I think Lissa will have beat me to it......let's see!
Hope tomorrow is another good day guys, keep fighting:)
Tons of love
DenXXXXXXXX
I did it!! I was first!! I AM THE BLOG HOG!!!! Eat my dust Gary and Lissa!!!
Hello Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor,
Here's to a great day.. It's so wonderful things are going well. The blog didn't come through till after 8pm and I was getting worried (not trying to rush you or anything).
Isn't it great when they start to talk and when you are certain they understand what you are saying to them. Everytime you mention the things your Mom brings you to eat, I get hungry and have to run off to the kitchen for something. I'm not always quite sure what you are eating, but it sounds good anyway.
Parsnip, I was feeling the same way today (not much in the christmas mood) and once I read the blog, it made me feel much better. Good Luck with BCBS, and the Italian Christmas Eve feasts are the best. I was actually late at writing tonight because I was reading a book someone at work loaned me about the show Last of Summer Wine, cause we both watch it anyway I had to put it away because the book smelled like a cat litter box. I then remembered the woman at work has about 5 or 6cats. I feel really bad but oh my God, I almost wanna put the book outside. I'm sure all the bloggers are gonna care about that story, but I had to share.
I'll chat with all of you tomorrow, as I am off for the next 2 days.
Lynn, Ade, and Phoebe so good to hear of your day. Have a great day tomorrow.
Love Lissa
morning all,
santa's coming tomorrow!!!!
Hope santa brings heaps of presents for you all..i'll make sure to remind him to leave bags of possitivity, hope and strength too (although you dont need it you have mountains of your own!!!)
well merry christmas and lots of love from becky, mark and spotty molly (scratch scratch)
Bom Dia! Lynn, Ade, Phoebe, Spirit Eleanor, Bloggers and Bloggeroonies,
Its so good to hear that Phoebe is making such good progress both medically and developmentally!
Although i am spending Christmas in Portugal and its lovely to do so - I would visit the snow and low temperatures given half the chance - how much do i WANT to go ski-ing!!!!
I thought your angel quote was lovely today and it really made me think of you Lynn as you spend so much time writing the Blog.
Anyway, must go,
Feliz Natal to one and all!
Estelle
xxxx
P.S. Hope the Bloggeroonies are all ready for Santa - remember the quicker you go to sleep the quicker Santa will come!
Dear Aunty Lynn Uncle Ade and Phoebe
I hear that Phoebe is doing very well with pronouncing her words
and I like the picture and I
hered her bum is better.Hope
eveything is going well.
Love from Eve blogerooney!!!!
I give in..... I cant compete with Parsnip and Lissa.
Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow and to giving Phoebe a xmas cuddle!!
G x
Hello!!!!I hear that phoebe is pronounsing words right[wow] i hope you like your presents of santa. I wounder what it is gowing to be?
love from madeline blogarun !!!!!!!!
Soooo glad to read that Phoebe's skin is healing well. She also appears to be excelling with her communication skills, well done girl! Still thinking about you always - everytime I get stressed with the christmas prep, I think of your beautiful family and it all melts away. Tell Phoebs to get an early night because Santa's coming.
Although it's wonderful to know that semi-isolation would be ok now, I just heard on the radio that this flu epidemic is the worst for nine years, so I'm glad the staff are being cautious.
We're off to church tonight to say some extra prayers for Phoebe (& spirit Eleanor) at the crib. I'm sure Phillomena won't mind me telling you all (just in case she doesn't get chance to blog) but she's had a word with Sister Marie and they have included Phoebe daily in their prayers at Coolock Convent in Newcastle.
At the weekend we're taking Liz to France for a week, so I may be some time! Bon Courage tout la monde!
Sending you loads of love for a magical Christmas guys,
Sarah
XXXXX
Hello my brave warriors! It never ceases to amaze me how strong and courageous you all are! Fantastic news about Phoebs bum and all her words too!!! She is such a clever girl!!! David from yoga phoned and passes on his best wishes to you all along with all the yoga folk, with lots of healing energies for Phoebe! My sisters were all overwhelmed when I showed them the blog and all send thier greatest love and admiration to you....words failed them(which says a lot for them!!)
Looking foward with much excitement to tomorrow and trying hard to contain some very excited children!!! We will phone later and send all our healing energies Phoebes way. Love from Helen (eve says Merry Christmas!)
Hi there! Sorry its been a while since I left a message - I've had the flu and it's left me with a really sore throat. Yes - I know what you're thinking - you don't need to speak whilst blogging - but I've not felt in such a great mood!!!
However, the good news is that when I caught up with the blog, Im amazed at how well Phoebe is recovering!! Not just physically, but also it seems her development is speeding ahead of the game! What a star!!! (Twinkle, twinkle!)
Mum and dad arrived this morning (my troops) to stay for Christmas - well I can't speak and Mum seems to have joint inflammation, dad huffing and puffing - we looked like the three stooges - hobble, grunt and wheeze!!! Luckily they managed to garner their strength to carry in the 48lb turkey that they have so thoughfully provided! Cold turkey anyone!!!
Anyway Lyn, since the last time you saw me I've lost 2 stone and gone blond!! I've been meaning to do something about my weight/image for a long time...the final straw being Peter Kaye's 'Geraldine' - after two years of growing my hair in a bob I managed to look like a bloody transexual - well done me!!
Mum and dad send their love - they've caught up with the blog here and are really pleased to see how Phoebe is coping with the treatment and hope everything goes well.
We're all looking forward to seeing you soon.
We wish you a merry Christmas and hope Santa is kind to you all. I know 2009 is going to be a great year for you all.
Love always, Ange, Ray, Flo, George, Aunty Pat and your daft Uncle H XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi folks
Just a note to say that we are all thinking of you all this Christmas Eve. We have been following the blog and we will be toasting Phoebe tonight in Ipswich. We are cautiously thrilled that Rob thinks she could be in semi isolation - that is great news.
Sleep well.
Rich Karen and ALL of the family xxx
Hello!!!
Just got back from the Panto - Snow White, and now feeling very festive - the kids are WILD!!!! (even more than normal in the James household!!!!)
First things first - had to 'blog on' and catch up on Phoebe's progress - and , my God, isn't she doing well!!! What a little star!!! Over the moon for the blood results - hoping they keep behaving and going up up up!! Well done Phoebs! And seeing her bum getting better and better each day is a real treat for you all!
Wishing you all a good Christmas - we will be thinking of you all and will have our daily intake at some point tomorrow - look forward to more of the same!!
Much love and thoughts coming your way
Jude West Maddie Alex and Chlo-Jo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi to All,
Just wishing Lynn, Ade (Ade's family)Beautiful Pheobe, Spirit Eleanor, Graham, Margaret, Gary, Lisa, Aunt Winnie, Uncle Jimmy and all other family and to all the bloggers..MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR..
Love,
Lissa
Hi
Just wanted to send lots and lots of Christmas wishes to you all. Hope santa is good to you and have a lovely day tomorrow - I am sure it will be very special
Lots of love
Michelle and Owen
xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Lynn, Ade & Phoebe, Gosh how well is Phoebe doing, i havent been able to get on for a couple of day due to my lack of the internet!! but i was amazed (as ever)at the progress she is making you must be made up! You sound like you ve had lovely day and its fab news that Phoebe is ready for semi isolation i imagine that is a huge step for you all although i agree its better she stays put whilst there so many bugs flying around!! Well as for my lot the girls are busy tracking santa every 10mins and i bleive he is getting very close!!! (Justine is really good and does it all to entertain Livvy) after several hours of present opening we will be off to the the inlaws for the day then out for boxing day then on the Saturday we are off to the Lakes for New Year with 12 friend & 3 dogs, we stay in a place just outside Shap in the middle of nowhere!! in 2 gorgeous converted barns its heaven and theres plenty food & wine so suits me perfect!!! unfortunately we dont have any internet (lucky if we get a phone signal!) its literally us and the cows in the nearby field so i will have to catch up on Phoebe progress when we get back, I hope you all a fab Christmas and wish Phoebe lots of love. I'll catch up in the New Year, take carelove Lois, Just, Jus & Livvy xxx
Hi all,
I just had to do a quick post. Just been to the Children's mass at Ss Mary & Chads with Molly....and this year we were all presented with a strip of fabric when we walked in....ey up I thought, am I reprising my role as a shepherd here? (yes, last year I WAS a shepherd - the wrong side of 35 too! don't laugh!) but no....during the final hymn, Father Paul invited us all to put our rag across the manger with a special prayer...I think you might guess where ours went. I thought that was a lovely part of the mass, it was really moving, as everyone there had their own special prayer to say...aww, and baby Jesus doll got to lie in rags rather than old straw...bless!
I must say a little tear popped out of my eye, it was really nice.
Anyhoo, if we don't get chance to post later / tomorrow then Bert, Molly and I wish all you bloggers and bloggeroonies a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas.
Love
Andrea x
Hiyaaaa. Its Christmas eve and iv'e burnt tonights pizza aready, glad im not cooking tomorrow...we are off to my mum and dads (darrens outlaws..haha)so mum can burn the dinner instead (only jokin mum.x).
Nurse in charge eh, what good hands you are in (sigh). Sounds like Phoebe is starting to heal coz her bum in calming down, hope this continues. When Rob came to see you I bet you could have kissed him with the news, parsnip is right about the flu bugs and the tummy ones too...one day at a time Phoebe.x. I know that when she goes on the ward she is on her way but until then I know that time is of the essence and should not be rushed.
Jocelyn is in bed and Amelia is still awake saying she is not at all tierd (at 21:30,yeh right), we have to put a carrot, milk and a pork pie (santa board of mince pie apparently).
Love and hugs to you all for Chirstmas Day.xxxx
Love Rachel Darren
Alex, Amelia, Jocelyn and Spirit Sam. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Still waiting for tham all to go asleep!!!!!!
Has anyone got any bribery suggestions!?????????????????????!!!!!!!
The carrots are going stale and the port has been drunk (but NOT by Santa!!!!) I'm about done in for the night!!!!!!!!! GOT TO KEEP GOING!!!!!!
Much Love
J,W M A & C
xxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment