Monday, 29 December 2008

Transplant Day +18 - The Beginning of Phase III - The Homeward Journey

Aaah, Hi there Fellow Bloggers,

Good Evening and welcome to our daily update on Phoebe’s progress. Wow, what a fantastic day.

We hope you have all had a good day; it’s been lovely and sunny ‘up north' with a beautiful crisp coolness in the air. Ade worries when I go out in my flip flops; he wonders if it's flip flops in Winter then what will I wear in the Summer?!! It’s great to feel the different temperatures as it’s really warm in the hospital and it gets particularly boiling when the sun warms the room.

Anyhow..Phoebe!! Well what a little star today, she has been incredible. Phew, I was very tired this morning as Phoebe was very unsettled around 3.30-4am with some sickness. Eventually I stayed up and Phoebe didn’t really go back to sleep either. We relaxed and had a cuppa together. Ade came across a little later and bless him always looks gutted for me if I have been awake in the night...and a little guilt maybe as he is lucky enough to get a good nights sleep!

Phoebe wasn’t particularly hungry for breakfast this morning, we did try and persevere but she knows her own mind. As Phoebs is continuing with her special IV supplements, it relieves us of any immediate concerns about her nutrition.

All the staff were back on the ward this morning and it was lovely to catch up with everyone and find out how they had spent the festivities. Being as it was Monday we needed to sort swabs etc. and it all went smoothly I’m very pleased to say. Maged and Nuti were back with us today; Maged is on call this week while Rob is away in London. Rob has a great team here and even phones in each day to find out about all of his patients' progress, he’s so committed as are all the staff here on the BMT Unit.

It was great to see Maged today and from the moment he and Nuti walked in, he had an agenda….to get us home at the weekend!!! How fantastic but at the same time, slightly scary!! We are surrounded here by the comfort of trained staff and we have to build our confidence in looking after Phoebs post transplant at home. With all the progress made and Phoebe being so well, Maged feels confident she is ready for the next stage…Phase III – The Homeward Journey.

Maged would like,
over the next few days, for us to concentrate on Phoebe’s eating and drinking and has subsequently reduced the TPN (IV nutrition) supplement by 50%; this 50% reduction will continue each day. He doesn’t anticipate Phoebe needing an NG tube and he's very confident in her ability to accept the changes ahead. He is also confident that she will continue her steady yet wonderful progress which will enable us to move forward onto oral medications again, ready for discharge. I can’t actually believe I’m saying those words already. We were stunned, elated and apprehensive the same time.

As if the day couldn’t get any better, we had our friends John and Sarah visit us and it was great to catch up. Phoebe always has a lovely smile for John and I know he feels very proud to say that. Sarah and I had a great catch up whilst we sorted a cuppa, chatting about their plans for the new year. It just so happened at that time that the Troops arrived, arms laden down with bags and treats. Gwen made us a lovely pork dinner for tonight along with Bacon and Cheese sarnies for lunch. Mum and Dad kindly cooked a delicious joint of beef which Mum had sliced and placed it in gravy. Hot roast beef baps…your mouth watering yet? Well, obviously not for our Veggie bloggers amongst us, sorry!!

Even though we are more than capable of coping through this time with Phoebe together, it has been a real pleasure having all our folks with us each day and I know Phoebe feels just as secure with them, it's so reassuring for us too.

The day just continued with one surprise after the other, Rob and Jo Sproston popped over to see us, what could we say…and they brought some fresh pineapple, grapes and a crispy duck pancake meal; I mean…..how thoughtful are you guys, thank you so much. It was great just to see you and catch up on everything. The Sprostons have recently been on a fantastic trip to Lapland, taking Jack and Amy to see Father Christmas and although Amy wasn’t too keen on meeting him they had a lovely time and brought back a fabulous Reindeer for Phoebs, she loved it and kept ringing its bell!! Jo and Rob were so surprised and thrilled by Phoebe’s growth and progress since we last met up. It was fantastic to see you all and thanks so much for making the trip to see us and so kind of you to bring all the lovely gifts, again, we are rich with blessings galore. xxx

Throughout the day, Phoebe has been in good spirits but a little tired due to her early start. Unfortunately, she missed having lunch as she had just settled for a nap. Phoebe’s food has to be served and eaten as soon as possible as part of her clean diet advice and this means that we can't currently re-heat any food for her. Mum tried her with a couple of pieces of plum and melon which went down a treat. She is becoming quite choosy about her food but we bear in mind that her taste buds may not have completely recovered yet.

As Phoebe dozed off, everyone gathered their things and headed for home to avoid the traffic. Ade decided to take a trip back to Stoke as he needed to update on a few things at Tollgate and clean the fish tank at home. When Phoebe awoke, which was before she was ready, she was a little grumpy with me which I don’t mind of course. She has such a lot to cope with and today we began the slow conversion of her meds. back to oral from IV. Phoebe’s first dose was only half a teaspoon even though it appears to be more in a syringe (my term for this is ‘volume confusion’!). She did well and managed it even though she looked as though she may be sick, she did brilliant all considering.

It was nearing dinner time and as it was just the two of us I took the opportunity to give Phoebs some freedom on the play mat. Just sitting and playing with her was great as there isn’t always the time at home so it was lovely just to have this time together. Dinner arrived consisting of mash, sausages and green beans, yum! Well… Phoebe sat and really enjoyed it and fed herself, it was remarkable, the best yet, along with 60 mls of cooled boiled water…nothing could make me happier!! We sat having a lovely time and as I was chattering away I noticed that Phoebe had fallen asleep sitting up….aah I couldn’t believe it. Slowly and very gently I swept her up and popped her into bed. Without waking her, I managed to change her into her sleepsuit. Sheila, our nurse today, thought I did very well!!

Well its now 11.52pm and Phoebs happens to be wide awake, chattering away and talking about Nanas, Grandads and Gary coming tomorrow. Just txt’d Gary to tell him; he phoned her and said Bye-Byes on the phone. I don’t believe it, she has settled down with warm Rory the Lion!!! Charming!!!

Well guys, it's getting late. This was going to be a short one tonight but you know me!!!

‘We can often learn to recognize the sound of an angel’s voice when we listen to the little urge to do the right thing, to go the next mile.'
Take care and rest well.

With love,
Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor xxx

9 comments:

Lissa said...

Hi Lynn, Ade, Remarkable Phoebe and always Spirit Eleanor,
What an awesome day for you. I couldn't be happier right now. You must be thrilled about being able to go home soon.
When you were saying Phoebe was falling asleep sitting up, it reminded me of my Shawn at that age, he wouldn't take a nap and by dinner time he would be so tired he would be falling asleep while he was eating, then of course didnt want to go to bed at a decent time.
Lynn, I'm going to send you something I read on one of the online newspapers, it was about an angel outside of a little girls hospital room. It's amazing. I hope it goes through to you.
I have been thinking of Parsnip, because I heard parts of Michigan were without power yesterday because of high winds, it was very warm here yesterday 67 degrees and extremely windy. I hope she wasn't one of those left in the dark.
I'll go for now and try and get that little article for you, and again what a great day for all of you.
Love to All
Lissa

Parsnip said...

That was an exciting update Lynn!!! Don't you stop blogging once you get home!!! I have everything crossed you can get back there asap, but I can see how the thought of it would be super scary, you are in such good hands there. You can do it though guys! Glad to hear the first transition back to the oral meds went so well, she is a total star, she really is.

I love hearing about what you are eating every day guys! You eat so well - the troops are looking after you all brilliantly!

I often find people have fallen asleep when I have been talking to them Lynn- welcome to my world! Apparently people are not (always) as enthralled by my conversation as I am......Andy has been looking me dead in the eye as I have been in the middle of some exciting tale and then his eyes slooooowly close....and he is asleep! This has happened a few times in our 9 year marriage! Nine years today folks - it's our anniversary!

Hey Lissa! It has been sooooooo windy here! I can't believe we didn't lose power (or our roof!), we often do around here. We have well water from under the house so when the power goes out the pump doesn't work so we lose the ability to run any water or even flush the toilet - THAT is primitive living let me tell ya! And smelly! Anyhoo, we did lose cell phone towers which is a disaster for me! No phone for 24 hrs. It's still really windy here but we did at least get some warm weather - 59! And a few days above freezing meant much of the snow has gone. Snow again tomorrow tho. It's never far away!

Well good night Oldfields.......I hope you have another good day tomorrow but do try not to bore Phoebe too much Lynn; she is going through enough don't ya think now, hmmmm?.....!!! (I'm ducking from all the beef butties you're throwing at me....)!

Tons of love

DenXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Michelle and Owen said...

Hi

Well can't believe they are talking about you all coming home -that's fantastic. I hope all goes well and Phoebe takes to her oral meds again.

Phoebe has been an absolute star and made us all very proud, as have her fantastic family who have shown one hundred percent and more what a family is really about, commitment and true dedication.

SO pleased and relieved for you all that Phoebe's joourney has gone so well and I pray that it continues to a full recovery.

Speak to you later

All our love
xx

Heidi said...

Hi Lynn, Ade, Phoebe and Spirit Eleanor

What amazing news - home for the weekend! We're keeping everything crossed for you and hope Phoebe continues to do well with her food this week.

I'm so pleased for you - Phoebe really is amazing (she must take after her mum and dad).

We're really looking forward to seeing you soon. We have the Whitehursts coming to us tomorrow for new years eve, so are looking forward to a good catch up on all things stokey (I'm hoping they'll even bring us some oatcakes!).

I agree with Parsnip - keep up the blogging when you get home, please! I'm only just getting in to this posting comments business...

Lots of love and hugs to you all

Heidi, Iain, Travis, Stella and Nathan xxxx

Anonymous said...

What fanstastic news. well done to you all. May your angels give you the strength and courage you need and keep you all safe during phase 3...
much love and many prayers as always

becky, mark and almost spot free molly

x x x x

Anonymous said...

HOW AMAZING!!!!

We are all soooo thrilled for you all - how exciting to be coming home for the weekend! Hoping that Phoebe takes well to the oral meds and that she continues to make the fabulous progress that she has done so far - LITTLE STAR!!!!!!!

Always in our thoughts!

Much love
Jude West Maddie Alex and Chlo-Jo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

angela b said...

Dear Lynn, Adrian and Phoebe
What fantastic news!!!
You are bound to be aprehensive but you will do fine and home is definitely the best place for Phoebe.
I am just so thrilled for you.I will be reading the coming days instalment with great excitement now.
Much love
Angela B

Estelle said...

Wow - that is fantastic news!
So good to hear how well your brave little star is doing - she really is an amazing young lady!
Her parent are pretty amazing too and i do think i should acknowledge the fabulous job you and your parents have done in keeping Phoebe's spirits up throughout the journey. You just can't underestimate the power of the Positive Mental Attitude!!!!!
Can't wait to see you all again soon - at home!!!!
With much love to you all,
Estelle
xxxx

sarah said...

Hi ya everyone,

what great news that is!!!! And a smashing start to 2009!!

I'm sure that once your home Phoebe will come on even more, we just can't wait till we can come over and play again.

Big hugs and loves,
Sarah,Grant and Lottie xxxx