You’re not getting addicted to the blog are you??? :o)
As I write this, I just have a huge smile on my face as it's incredible to think so many people are reading this….How are you all?? Hope everyone is well and welcome to another instalment of Phoebe’s Journey.
Ok, where do we start, lots to tell you about tonight so I’ll get on as it's now 21.42. Go on, sit yourself down now!
We started today after a fairly restful night with some really funny moments; when I awoke and greeted Phoebe she was just sat in her cot giggling away and there can be no better way to start your day, surely? Ade arrived and we started breakfast early. Phoebs hasn’t eaten too much over the last couple of days but this morning she had about 6 teaspoons of Cheerios and a few bites of Daddy’s toast, oh and of course her little cup of tea bless her!!.
Phoebe is constantly keeping us entertained and we can really see her sense of humour developing. This morning she really tickled me when she called me over in her singing voice “Mummy, get it, Mummy get it”. I turned around to find she had her foot lodged into her wooden shape sorter whilst giggling and when I went over to her she looked at me, said ”oh” and pulled her foot out! She thought it was hilarious….oh geez she really had me - I put my hands up - I’ve been had by my 16 month old daughter!!! :o)
You know the special moments we've talked about...well it was Ade’s turn today. Phoebe was sitting in her cot after getting her ready for the day and Ade decided to start singing some songs with her…luckily she has escaped the 80’s influence so far!! (Don’t tell him that though). Ade started with 'Twinkle Twinkle' and Phoebe just began to sing for the first time; she started sounding some of the words and in the right place!!! We both looked at each other in astonishment and were speechless (c’mon it doesn’t happen that often with us two!!). It was amazing to hear her, he had tears in his eyes, he was so moved, and he said it was one of those moments you never forget!!
We had a lovely visit this morning from our friend Michelle and, bless her, she came over laden with gifts for Phoebs and us. Thank you so much Owen for the very lovely handmade cards you did for Phoebe Margi and us, such lovely handwriting too. You are very talented Charley Farley (that’s my cheeky nickname for Owen). Michelle was also telling me about Owen's part as Ralph in his school’s Christmas production of ‘Ralph the Reindeer’. Mum was very proud of you and said you were brilliant, especially your singing!! Well done you, we're proud of you too Charley!!! ;o)
Phoebe sure knows her own mind and today she didn’t feel like any lunch. The consultants have explained that Phoebe will have a loss of appetite so we don’t worry about it too much. She has had lots of nappy changes as you can imagine with the hydration required for her current (and final!) chemo. Her little bum has started to become sore so we're managing it with a special barrier cream, but it has been a little tough for her today.
Guess what….just when we needed something to take her mind off it, in walks the hospital music specialist Rebecca. It was like the angels had sent her; the nurses hadn’t mentioned this and so it was a lovely surprise. We had songs and
As the afternoon wore on, Phoebe became quite tired but still managed to have a piece of bread and butter. Mum still says ‘c’mon now, eat your piecey nice’ (Stokie lingo) and it's still lovely to hear it after all these years!! Bless her!!
Phoebe did extremely well today as it turned into a pretty heavy afternoon. As she is so young she may occasionally try to pull at her Hickman line so we put a loop into it just in case. We weren't due to get the dressing on it changed until at least tomorrow as nursing staff try and leave it for at least 12 to 14 days to let it knit properly into the skin. Phoebs must have caught it a couple of times today as she started to show that it was painful. Rachel, our nurse for the day, was great with her but she Phoebs went through it when we had to take the old dressings off, bless her. It must have really knocked her about a bit as she was quite sleepy and tearful, so I took my opportunity for some cuddle time.
The nurses have been so pleased with how Phoebs has taken her numerous oral medications. Most children tend to have the NG tube by now, but on the whole she’s not too bad at taking them and the majority will stop in the next couple of days. It’s not a nice procedure putting them in, so 'short term pain...' etc. We then tried give her some oral meds. as they have to be taken at regular intervals and this was hard for her today. She was quite sick with them and it's a little upsetting to see her go through it but I just kept reassuring her it was OK and that it would stop soon. We then left Phoebs to settle for a while and she finally managed to take them OK.
So far things are going well and as expected as Rob informed us when he popped by with a further update. We may have a few dips some days, especially one to two weeks after chemo and BMT, so you guys will need to bear with us then. BUT, for now, we are all just going to concentrate on the moment in hand and not worry about tomorrow.
We found out something very interesting today; Rob explained that donating stem cells doesn’t have to be as painful as it used to be. Our donor will donate their stem cells by peripheral blood stem cell donation instead of the more traditional bone marrow donation procedure. The donor will be given injections of a drug called 'Filgrastim' that will increase the number of stem cells in their bloodstream. This will then enable the donor to have the blood taken as you would in a standard blood donation procedure, the bone marrow cells will then be filtered off and the remaining blood returned. The advances in medicine are incredible, don’t you think? There have been studies into the effectiveness of both procedures and Rob is very happy to accept the stem cell donation by this method. We are pleased that our donor will be more comfortable with their choice of donation.
Phoebe picked up again around tea time although she again didn’t fancy anything to eat. Ann, our nurse for today, explained that Phoebe may now have a metallic taste in her mouth due to the chemo. which will reduce her appetite. Well it did for a while until she saw her Dad’s peas, her favourite, yum!!
Phoebe received some post today from her friend Molly. Both Molly and her Mummy Becky are regular bloggers; thanks for taking to time to leave the lovely daily messages of support and encouragement. Phoebe really liked her ‘In the Night Garden’ magazine and card. Bless you, that was really kind of you Molly. Phoebe sends you kisses xxx
Before I leave you tonight, I would like to say on behalf of Ade, Phoebe and myself a very big Thank you to Klate and all the boys. Ade joins the group to visit a place they call ‘Thut’ (Stokie speak for ‘the hut’) in the Newlands Valley near Keswick. Each year, depending on what they have spent, they each have refunds from any monies left and this year the guys all donated their refunds, totalling £145.00, to the The Donna Louise Trust. That was really kind of you all; I know Ade was going to try and join you for a few hours on Saturday but unfortunately he was unable to make it and I know he dearly missed you all this year. Klate, thank you, we appreciate you facing your fears of needles so well done you, go for it and give blood!!! Boys, thanks so much, it’s greatly appreciated. As some of you may know, The Donna Louise Trust is a charity based Childrens Hospice and the organisation is in need of funds to continue its work. They have been, and continue to be, an incredible support to us as a family throughout our journey with Eleanor May. We are incredibly touched by your gesture boys, Bless you xxxx Goebels, can I just say I have particularly missed your enthusiastic singing in my ear when I come to pick Ade up!!!! :o)
Ade would also like to say a big 'Well Done' to Tony Pulis, John Rudge and all of the team at Stoke City for an impressive fightback and point against Newcastle United last Saturday. You put a smile on his face! We especially appreciated your e-mail of well wishes John and we know a lot of the staff there are following the blog; Ade says he hopes to be cheering the team on again in person soon.
Spirit Eleanor continues to be in our
thoughts and hearts everyday, in everything we do, and I know she is remembered by so many of you. Thank you for keeping her spirit alive, I’m sure she's watching over her little sis. We love you very much, God Bless you Eleanor xxxxThanks so much for your continued love, support and encouragement and glad you could make it. We all look forward to a new day and Phoebe's final day of Chemotherapy, have a restful sleep now. xx
‘Life seems to run wild, but God holds the reins and angels tend the
harness’
Much love xxx
9 comments:
Hello all! One last day of chemo, Phoebe!
I have another question....is your donor a family member/friend or is it someone anonymous? Do they know who they are donating to (basics, like Phoebe's age/gender)? It's wonderful that the transplant is so much easier now! I'd never heard of it being done that way.
And cool about the donation to the Donna Louise Trust - and the blood donors! They won't let me donate here cuz of the mad cow debacle - never mind that I haven't eaten meat for 25 years! I have to have lived here for 12 years I think, I'm up to 10, so my time is coming!
Loved Ade's Twinkle Twinkle moment with Phoebe, she sounds so cute:)
DenXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hello my peculiar friends!
I read this with tears in my eyes today. It's filled with hope and inspiration. Even though we're lucky enough to speak with you on the phone, I can't wait to see you! It was so nice to see Eleanor too, God Bless big sister.
Erm, did you notice the 'orb'-like object on your first pic? By Rebecca's head? A visitor maybe? hmmm, makes you wonder doesn't it?
Hope to si thee later
Up the Potters!
Andrea x
P.S. Lil' Mo says hi - she reads the blog just before bed now...ahh, we all miss Phoebs so much! She made me send more pix, which you should have by now!
Hello Lynn Ade & Pheobe! The blog is fantastic and you are all getting through this in the most amazing way. What a strong and brave little girl! I have only met Pheobe once by the duck pond in Lichfield but I remember her cheeky smile!! My thoughts are with you all and I look forward to keeping up with the blog. Love Hannah (Gary's friend/colleague) x
Hi Phoebe,
Every day you amaze us with your resilience to the treatment and your ability to just 'get on' with being a little girl. Thank you so much for the blog Lynn, I hope you know that we are all going through this journey with you and it makes it much easier to get a daily update, we all feel part of Phoebe's treatment and hopefully can take away some of the pain for her and you guys.
The positivity expressed in your blog is fantastic and a credit to you and your family - Phoebe will look back on this blog as a young woman and realise how lucky she is to have such a wonderful mum and dad and grandparents.
Keep your heads up, with lots of love from Deb and family xxxx
PS Have you an address to send a Christmas card to?
Hello to you all, especially Pheobe!! You amazing little pudding!
I finally managed to get the blog address yesterday and wow Lynn it's just so fantastic to hear how you are all getting on, and to see the pictures.
Been thinking of you constantly and praying that you are all OK. Sent an email yesterday but not sure if you will have got it. It was so lovely to see you last week and everyone at Circle Tots was asking how you all were. I'll pass the blog address onto anyone who doesn't have it.
I was out with Sarah, Philomena and Jo Scott last night and Sarah kindly explained how I could contact you through the blog.........not that up on these blog things ye know!!
Listen I'm rambling on! Just so great to have a conection with you.
Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.
Loads of love and lots of cuddles for Phoeb's,
Rach & Harry "the rascal" Boulton xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi to you all
Was fantastic to see you all yesterday and to see Phoebe laughing and smiling. You are all remarkable and it was truly inspiring to be around your positive energy.
I had to fill Owen in on everything word for word when I returned!!! and I will read today's blog out when he comes home. He follows it as closely as me!!
Beautiful photos again and it is lovely to see Eleanor, most definitely watching over her little sis. I am so glad the chemo is almost over to give Phoebe a precious rest day.
Sending all my love and prayers
xx
well ive done so well reading your blogg everyday with out a tear but today ive shed a few.....
glad pheobe liked her magazine.
wasnt sure what she was allowed to have.
molly and i went to tiny tots at trentham church today for the first time in ages. we all prayed for you and they are eager to hear of pheboes progress....(i'll push their card through for you tommorrow lynn) xxxx i passed on the link to the blogg so maybe some of them will join us soon in following your story.
My friend lee-ann who goes to tots with her daugther evie is a follower too and sends her love.
your stories of your days and your journey touch me everyday... your are all so special
much love and prayers becky, mark and molly
i love the picture of beautiful eleanor it brought back memories of her first birthday at your house
x x catch you tommorrow x x
WOW! Your strength and positivity never ceases to amaze me!! Phoebe Marji is such a lucky lady to have you, Ade and all the family with her on her journey - INCREDIBLE!
Thanks, Lynn for all the effort you take to keep us updated with each days news and events - it is very addictive to hear the latest and of course to see the inspirational photos of little Phoebs.
Maddie, Alex and Chlo-Jo have really enjoyed looking at the pictuers - Maddie has fond memories of watching the 'clan' attempting to put the bloody tent up in St David's - LOL!!!! Alex remembers Phoebe's birthday - sitting on the rug outside your tent eating the birthday cake (typical bloke - always thinking about his belly!!!!!!), and Chlo-Jo, I know has very happy memories of the times we all shared at Tiny Tots.
How wonderful for Phoebe that she has her big sister watching over her and keeping her safe throughout her journey - she and Eleanor are so lucky to have eachother.
I hope you all have a restful day tomorrow - we will be thinking of you all, and looking forward to hearing the next installment of Phoebe's journey - it's brilliant, Lynn - thnk you!
Sending all our love, thoughts and prayers,
Rude Jude, West, Maddie, Alex and Chlo-Jo-Ma-Lo-Jo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Lynn, Ade and Phoebe ( I just love that name and she looks like a little Phoebe). I am now officially addicted to your blog and look forward to it every day. I was so happy to see the photo of Eleanor and it reminded me of the picture my Mom had of her that she had hung up on her bulliten board. When I was moving her to live with me, she made me take down the picture and she put it safe so it wouldn't get lost. She was so good about having to downsize but there were certain things she was very careful to make sure got moved safely and Eleanor's picture was one of them.
I wont go on too much, I will stay tuned for the next blog of Phoebe's Journey. Please give her a big hug and kiss from all of us here in the USA. My friends who you met when you were here are keeping you in there thoughts and prayers, so know that best wishes are going out to you from across the Atlantic.
Love Lissa
Post a Comment